Holiday Boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

Thought I was going get out of making these this year, but I've had some requests. All the boxes are maple, ribbons are cedar, walnut, sapelle, and cherry. The cherry ones not showing much contrast.
IMG_4032.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

It's no wonder they're in demand. Absolutely beautiful. Your craftsmanship and creativity are inspiring.
Thank you. They still need to be cut apart and ribbons glued on, then finished. Cutting them apart is always scary. In the past, I've lost a few in that stage. Oh I also round over the edges, before I cut them apart.

jttheclockman

I have always loved these type things. Very well done and do show us the finished product. There is many different woodworking techniques in these. I am a sucker for nice scroll saw work. Somewhere on my to do list these are and have been on it. Good way to use up alot of stock. Nice combination of woods and when a finish is applied they will jump and pop.

May I ask what do people use them for??

KenB259

Wow, those are great.

I'd love to watch you make the ribbons, especially.
I have a pattern for the ribbons, I just use an appropriate forstner bit to remove the majority of the material of the ID's and then use a flush cutting route bit with a bearing to cut to final size. The outside I cut on my bandsaw and sand them to size with a disc sander. They could all be done on a scroll saw as well, but I'm not very proficient as a scroller.

Woodchipper

The boxes are amazing. Motivates me to use my Rockler box finger jig. KenB259, thanks for the info. Love the ribbons!
Members, does anyone know of a video/tutorial for this? Seems I have seen one somewhere.

jttheclockman

I have a pattern for the ribbons, I just use an appropriate forstner bit to remove the majority of the material of the ID's and then use a flush cutting route bit with a bearing to cut to final size. The outside I cut on my bandsaw and sand them to size with a disc sander. They could all be done on a scroll saw as well, but I'm not very proficient as a scroller.
Well Ken you fooled me. You did those and did not use a scrollsaw. Your talent is even more impressive. These were designed for the scrollsaw. There is many variations of open weave boxes as well as different shaped boxes designed to be cut with a scrollsaw. A++ man.

Alan Morrison

Very good, Ken. I've made a few boxes like that, though cut the ribbons on the scroll saw and overlaid them on the top and sides.
Laminating the ribbons in the box is a good idea, maybe will try that if I make any more.

KenB259

Very good, Ken. I've made a few boxes like that, though cut the ribbons on the scroll saw and overlaid them on the top and sides.
Laminating the ribbons in the box is a good idea, maybe will try that if I make any more.
I've seen some with the ribbons on top, although they still look nice, I prefer them inlaid into the box. My new drum sander sure came in handy making these.

KenB259

I have always loved these type things. Very well done and do show us the finished product. There is many different woodworking techniques in these. I am a sucker for nice scroll saw work. Somewhere on my to do list these are and have been on it. Good way to use up alot of stock. Nice combination of woods and when a finish is applied they will jump and pop.

May I ask what do people use them for??
Mostly for decoration, but some have told me they use them for jewelry boxes and others for candy boxes. They are 6 x 6 by about 2 1/2 high, not counting the ribbons.

KenB259

Those are absolutely beautiful. Just curious, do you sell them or just make them for friends and family?

Wayne
I sell them, once I get retired, 29 days, but who's counting, I'll have more time and probably add them to our Etsy shop. I have very little on there at the moment.

Last edited:

howsitwork

I sell them, once I get retired, 29 days, but who's counting, I'll have more time and probably add them to our Etsy shop. I have very little on there at the moment.
Don't tellSWMBO you've retired for a few months ! More workshop time , less stress 😉

Absolutely beautiful boxes as well though

Top Bottom