Holding nib for drilling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbg230

I'm getting into modifying some kits in order to use Parker refills. I've seen that some nibs need to be drilled out to accommodate the refill. What's a good way to secure the nib so as not to skew the hole when drilling?
Thanks. -Jake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbg230

Well, I didn't see this thread until I looked back at my post. I think the suggestions here will help. Don't want to stir the pot unnecessarily!

Curly

Kind of impatient. Not a lot of people opening up nibs for different refills so the pool of people to help will be small. Let the guys that work during the day and look at the forum in the evening have something to say before getting snarky.

Take a look in the Library and look at the cartridge pen tutorials and see if the ones with info on using real bullets and the way they drill would work for you.

Curly

He isn't drilling bullets, just regular pen nibs. I only suggested the tutorials because bullets are just as hard to hold to drill.

Pete

Curly

My apologies to both of you. I didn't realize it was bullets being drilled and I didn't read the thread link. I reacted unfairly to the initial post and what looked like a sarcastic reply within a few hours. I hope you will forgive me.

Pete

Last edited:

jbg230

I appreciate that last post. :) Forgiven.
My day job entails enough stress so as not to want to cause any here. This is the place that relieves it a little bit!
I always appreciate the advice offered.
Now I just have to come up with a good explanation for my wife, that I have to get a collet set!

howsitwork

Essential equipment to make fine jewellery accessories which she might like ? I suggest you don't specify BY WHEN you might make the aforementioned accessories.

Birthday present, anniversary present, belated christmas gift ? Alternatively have it delivered to work or a good friends house. They've not too big and easily fit in a sandwich box for transport into the workshop.

Luckily SWMBO doesn't usually question small packages arriving for me.... Girls at work are sworn to silence . Likewise I don't question shoes boxes arriving that need signing for due to cost ?!!!!

magpens

For anybody interested, here is a very good Library article ..... ( I can't seem to identify the actual author ... would acknowledge if I knew )

... describes (with pictures) a good way to hold the nib for drilling by using a homemade hardwood collet.

EDIT: - With a little "digging", the author is rherrell. . I cannot seem to read the article without first downloading it to my own computer.

Would appreciate hearing if the article can be read "in situ", without first downloading, and how to do that.

Last edited:

Dieseldoc

For anybody interested, here is a very good Library article ..... ( I can't seem to identify the actual author ... would acknowledge if I knew )

... describes (with pictures) a good way to hold the nib for drilling by using a homemade hardwood collet.

EDIT: - With a little "digging", the author is rherrell. . I cannot seem to read the article without first downloading it to my own computer.

Would appreciate hearing if the article can be read "in situ", without first downloading, and how to do that.
Mal: I had to down load, at that time I could of printed. If you don't want down load just delete it after your review.

magpens

@Dieseldoc

Thanks, Charlie, for confirming that you also had to download before you could read the instructions.

Yes, of course, one can delete the download if you don't want it after reading, but that is a couple of extra steps in the process if all you want to do is have a quick read .... :);) ... . One of those steps is finding the actual downloaded file on my computer ... Haha !! ... I'm not a guru !

Top Bottom