Hobby Lobby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrplace

Just got back from Hobby Lobby. They carry the 16oz Alumilite two part kit. It only costed $14 (Alumilite is $13 on their website)and I didnt have to wait for the UPS, so I grabbed one while the SO was getting cake decorating supplies. [:p]:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chigdon

I went there and the only one mine had was one that was for casting forms that were the color of playdough. I guess they are for making prototypes or models. Was this the clear?

mrplace

Mine just moved it, It was by the clays, candle making stuff, and the jewelry making supplies. They have pigments and pearlex also. They usually carry the quart can of PR, but didn't see any this trip.

Says clear casting on it. With a 30-60 minute demold time.

melogic

I ordered some of the Alumilite clear stuff and 4 or 5 dyes the other day (Wednesday Evening) and when I got back from a craft show today, it was on my front porch. I guess I'm casting tomorrow! [:p][:D][:p]

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
mrplace,

Where in Texas are you? When I first started looking for something other than PR I noticed on Alumilite's website that Hobby Lobby was a distributor. I went to 3 or 4 different Hobby Lobby's around here (San Marcos/Austin/New Braunfels)and none had the clear. I ended up ordering it from some online hobby store for $16 plus shipping. (Alumilite just recently started selling on their webiste)

Of course if you decide you like it, you will be better off ordering larger quantities directly from Alumilite. For the size you bought, you ended up paying $.87 per ounce, not counting tax. If you get the 2 gallon kit from Alumilite, it will end up costing you $.62 pr ounce, not counting shipping.

I just ordered another 2 gallon set for my cactus blanks and when it is gone, I will be ordering a 10 gallon set! I am also working on Mike, the VP at Alumilite, to give us some kind of special pricing or at least make it so a group buy would work.

mrplace

I am in Euless, which is right beside DFW airport in Dallas. I picked it up at the Hobby Lobby in Grapevine.

I went there to get a quart of PR for a job that couldn't wait until Monday. It seems they have replaced it with this two part.

Alumilite

Hello all. I'm completely new to your forum and am very impressed. Pen turning is new to me but after having a few conversations with Curtis and asking him where I could learn more about it, he pointed me here. Hope you don't mind my joining in.

As some of you have found, Hobby Lobby does carry a couple of our opaque resins. They should be located in two different areas. First in the Hobby section close to the model kits. Here you would find general mold making and casting kits to make flexible silicone rubber molds and opaque urethane resin pieces. The other area is by the polymer clay in the Craft area. There you would fine a two part silicone putty used for making quick molds and an extremely easy 1:1 white resin. They are under the name of Amazing Mold Putty and Amazing Casting Resin in the craft area and under Alumilite's name in the Hobby section.

Unfortunately, Hobby Lobby does not carry our Water Clear resin nor do they carry the reactive dyes. You might want to check out our Dealer Locator on our website (www.alumilite.com) because many mom and pop hobby shops will carry the Clear and some of the dyes. But please call them first to see if they have it before making the trip!

I'm still learning your turning techniques but I do know resins inside and out so please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Mike
Alumilite
800 447-9344

Dario

WELCOME MIKE!!!

I am sure your knowledge will be tapped by us...and hopefully we bring you business in return.

Be warned, you stay here long enough and you will most likely become a turner yourself!!! [;)][}:)]

melogic

Welcome aboard Mike. I am new to Alumilite but so far I love what I have been getting. I just need to learn more about my experiments to come up with a good pen blank.
Thanks for posting here and allowing us to ask you questions pertaining to your product. And as Dario said, you stay here long you will become a penturner too. I have seen the biggest, strongest will people get hooked. [;)][^]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom