Hobby Knife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Painfullyslow

Painfullyslow

Thanks to the inspiration from @KateHarrow and her Hempwood knife!

After seeing her great work, and the fact that I happened to be shopping on Amazon at the time, I ordered up a couple of these knives as I use them myself quite often. They arrived in two days and I promptly forgot about them.

I just 're-discovered' these in my pile of things to do and since I was about to try my first Alumilite cast, I thought that this would make for a good test.

I did a tube-in pour (since I don't trust my drill press to make a straight hole this long) and I am very pleased with the outcome.

No finish, just micromesh polish through the range and then Novus 3, 2, and 1

HK1-1.jpg

HK1-2.jpg

HK1-3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

I too ordered the knives from Amazon - I did not have any 8mm tubes, so I ordered those as well. I plan to give this a try this weekend. Thanks Kate for the inspiration, and thanks Michael for a great example.

KC

Painfullyslow

I like the cap idea on this one. It would be cool to make a fountain pen cap and barrel to go around the knife.
Just FYI, they all come with that cap. I just didn't include it in the photos

And immediately after I made the first one I had a request for one in green with white accents. I changed the shape up slightly and this was the result.

An interesting note: I am still very much new to this and still learning a lot as I go along. This time I finished the blank using micromesh and then going through the range of Zona paper (down to 1 micron) before applying Novus 2 and 1. It doesn't show so well in the photographs but the finish is like glass.

I will definitely be doing this method going forward.

HK2-1.jpg

HK2-3.jpg

KateHarrow

Just FYI, they all come with that cap. I just didn't include it in the photos

And immediately after I made the first one I had a request for one in green with white accents. I changed the shape up slightly and this was the result.

An interesting note: I am still very much new to this and still learning a lot as I go along. This time I finished the blank using micromesh and then going through the range of Zona paper (down to 1 micron) before applying Novus 2 and 1. It doesn't show so well in the photographs but the finish is like glass.

I will definitely be doing this method going forward.

View attachment 333079

View attachment 333080
LOVE the green!

Painfullyslow

Thanks all, I appreciate the comments. These are surprisingly fun to make!

Gorgeous, I ordered a few but they won't be here until Monday. Green I my favorite color and I really like how you shaped this.
I am sure that you will have a blast turning these! Please do keep us updated when you do make them.

And thanks on the color and shape. It was kind of an amalgam between my first attempt and the one that @KateHarrow made

Top Bottom