Hobby CNC mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Anyone here get involved in any of the small hobby sized CNC mini milling machines?
I got one of the 2418 models that is a DIY set. Kinda like a big boy's erector set. It tried my patience but I got it together. Only has a 7" x 4" working area and the depth is about 1.5". I have wanted for years to better understand the CNC control of machines and I figured this would be a less expensive way to learn. Later I can move to a bigger machine that can do more serious stuff.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Taig, Sherline and Grizzly all have cnc table top machines. If you can build your own controller as well it will save a lot of money. I used my Taig to build a larger bench top machine that has an 8 x 18 x 6 high work area.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I started with a 4" x4" working area but also had rotary. Had fun for years before I upgraded to 6" x 16". Many things can be done in a small area and a great way to figure out how big you may wish to go later.

Dale Allen

Well, this isn't a 'typical' milling machine.
It is about 12" square and 10" tall.
This weekend will be the test to see if I wasted my money!:eek:
The X/Y travel is just like the cheap laser I have so I'm thinking maybe eventually a system for pen blanks or other cylinders is possible.

Attachments

• 2418cnc.jpg
    2418cnc.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 125

Dale Allen

Starting to get this thing figured out. A lot more to learn.
I'll need some different cutting bits for sure.
The top cut was done in 2 passes to see how well it repeated the path and to cut just a little deeper. Too deep though as it was chipping out some of the wood in between the channels.

Attachments

• iphone.jpg
    iphone.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 110
Top Bottom