HMS Caledonia Antique Pine Pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tjd

tjd

A Sirocco Gold & Gunmetal Pen made using Salvaged Antique pine from an Engineers Toolbox from HMS Caledonia.
Interestingly The Caledonia started life in 1914 & was launches as SS Bismarck a German Transatlantic cruise liner launched by Kaiser Wilhem , at the time she was the Biggest ship in the World, however at the start of WW1 she was not completed and never sailed under the German Flag and after the War was bought by White Star Line and served as their transatlantic Flagship RMS Majestic until 1932 when she was sold to be scrapped by Thos Ward , She then had a reprieve when the Royal Navy took ownership and she was renamed HMS Caledonia & served as a Royal Navy training ship in Rosyth Scotland.
With The start of WW2 imminent she was closed down as a training ship and was going to be refitted to be a troop carrier but unfortunately she caught fire and sunk in the firth of forth in september 1939 before this could happen and this was the tragic end of her maritime career.

Attachments

• caledonia pen.jpg
    caledonia pen.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 193
  • caledonia pen 1.jpg
    caledonia pen 1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tjd

Nice pen and I love the history behind it. You've got quite a collection.
Thanks, i collect all timbers that were made after all the ships were scrapped . They used to make all sorts back in the day from salvaged timbers, mainly match stick barrel shaped holders, i tend to target the bigger stuff so i can make pen blanks out of them. I have 12 different ships at the moment. Just love the History & enjoy making the ships timbers live again with a functional gift.

Attachments

• caledonia toolbox.jpg
    caledonia toolbox.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 119
Well worth the effort to keep the stories alive. The History behind these ships will all be lost soon so salvaging and keeping that history alive for all to enjoy in the future is well worth the effort. I have always found your salvaged ship lumber pens to be very interesting. I hope you can keep finding more to add to your collection.

Reactions: tjd
Top Bottom