HMS Birmingham Teak pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tjd

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2013
Messages
320
Location
Carmarthenshire , Wales
This antique copper Scirocco pen was made using Salvaged Burmese Teak from the HMS Birmingham, the Birmingham was a two-screw ship, was built at Elswick, launched on 7 May 1913 and completed on 30 January 1914. She joined the 1st Light Cruiser Squadron of the Grand Fleet in 1914, visiting Kiel in June that year.
On 9 August 1914, she spotted the U-15, whose engines had failed as she lay stopped on the surface in heavy fog, off Fair Isle. The crew of Birmingham could hear hammering from inside the boat from attempted repairs, and so fired on her but missed. As the U-boat began to dive, she rammed her, cutting her in two. U-15 went down with all hands, the first U-boat loss to an enemy warship.[1] Birmingham also sank two German merchant ships that year and took part in the Battle of Heligoland on 28 August, and the Battle of Dogger Bank in January 1915.
P2068943.JPG

P2068935.JPG

P2068939.JPG

P2068940.JPG

BIRMINGHAM.jpg

BIRMINGHAM ENSIGN.jpg
 
Top Bottom