Hippopotamus Tusk and Silver - Two Firsts!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from keithbyrd

keithbyrd

This is a Hippopotamus Tusk on Silver from Silver Pen Parts. My first ivory pen and first silver pen. Fountain Pen/Roller ball combo! Thanks to Mike for great customer support and speed!
Hippo Tusks are HARD. I don't know if all ivory is this hard or not but I wore out 3 edges on my carbide tool! I step drilled from 1/4 to 12.5 in 3/64 increments. Finish is 4 coats of thin CA sanded to 1200 and polished with Dr. Kirk's Micro Magic through step 2. I wanted to get more of a satin look than high gloss. C&C welcome!
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• FPRB101-0414 Hippo & Silver 5.jpg
    FPRB101-0414 Hippo & Silver 5.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 313
  • FPRB101-0414 Hippo & Silver 6.jpg
    FPRB101-0414 Hippo & Silver 6.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 319
  • FPRB101-0414 Hippo & Silver.jpg
    FPRB101-0414 Hippo & Silver.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

I hate to be the one to ask this, but you are sure that nothing here is poached? If it wasn't, then that's one heck of a pen! Good choice with the silver kit.

keithbyrd

Wow Keith that turned out great, I don't know if I could part with a pen like this. YOu nailed it for sure.

Mike

Thanks Mike - I am wondering about that- I have a lot invested in this pen in terms of time and money and Firsts!

That sure sucked up a day off...and boy was it worth it!
More than a day Jim- being warned to be cautious I spread this out over about 4 days!

You must be, like, the hippo tooth fairy - totally in a good way. You took something kinda ugly and turned it into a treasure. LOVE your pen! It is beautiful.

Thanks Chris - this was a project!
There is a front plate on the tusk - looks kind of like a fingernail - when I cut it on my band saw - sparks flew! This stuff is hard! But I will certainly do it again!

I appreciate all the feedback - Thanks!

Top Bottom