Hinge for pivoting lid???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Timbo

Timbo

I want to make a small box with a lid that pivots open horizontally. I have no idea what the hinge type is called that would allow a lid to pivot open this way. Is a hinge available for this application, or do folks come up with something on their own? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Tim, I just started looking for the same thing and have come up empty handed. I have done a couple on my own just by using a cut off finish nail. Guess that's what I'll do again.

Timbo

Tim, I just started looking for the same thing and have come up empty handed. I have done a couple on my own just by using a cut off finish nail. Guess that's what I'll do again.

I have to believe someone has engineered such a hinge.

However, I had already thought about the solution you came up with, but I couldn't fingire out how to attach the lid so that it would rotate, but also not come off, and not to have the pin visible from the top. What did you do?

Jim Burr

Banned
When I make salt boxes I use a C-pin also called torsion pins...perfect for what you are looking for. Any hardware store has them.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
All the rotohinges I could find we're to big for little boxes.

When I made my salt box (look in other things we make) and reefboy made his (look in the Northern California forum) we used 1/16" stainless rod glued into the bottom and a 1/8" brass rod drilled 1/16" for the pivot in the lid. Works flawlessly.

My box: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/eucalyptus-salt-bowl-105947/

Both rods were bought at our local True-Value hardware store. They also had 1/8" brass tube that already had a hole just a teeny bit too loose for the 1/16" rod. But if you can't drill brass rod it would do.

Gk

Last edited:

Timbo

All the rotohinges I could find we're to big for little boxes.

When I made my salt box (look in other things we make) and reefboy made his (look in the Northern California forum) we used 1/16" stainless rod glued into the bottom and a 1/8" brass rod drilled 1/16" for the pivot in the lid. Works flawlessly.

My box: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/eucalyptus-salt-bowl-105947/

Both rods were bought at our local True-Value hardware store. They also had 1/8" brass tube that already had a hole just a teeny bit too loose for the 1/16" rod. But if you can't drill brass rod it would do.

Gk

OK. That would work. So the lid is not permanently attached, the pin just sits in the receiving hole? Thanks.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
OK. That would work. So the lid is not permanently attached, the pin just sits in the receiving hole? Thanks.

Correct. I wanted it removable for cleaning. Mind you, you actually have to work at it to lift it off so it never falls off. Especially with the magnetic "catch".

If you want it permanent you could do it with slightly bigger setup. Use a small finishing nail. Drill your hole for the brass a little deep, slide the nail into the brass from the top, glue the brass in, drill the bottom for the nail base, glue it in. Just don't get over zealous with the glue.

Gk

Last edited:

rherrell

I just saw this thread and remembered a box I made that might help.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just drilled a hole for a 1/8" brass pin, works quite well.:biggrin:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,885
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,551
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,708

Timbo

I just saw this thread and remembered a box I made that might help.

I just drilled a hole for a 1/8" brass pin, works quite well.:biggrin:

Cool! I think that will work great for hardwoods. Some sort of sleeve might be prudent for softwoods. Seems like a very simple and cost effective solution so I'll give that a try first. Thanks.

bradh

You can also use a shelf pin for this type of hinge. There are many sizes and a few different shapes to pick from:

Attachments

• pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 2,052
Top Bottom