High schooler from Columbus OH looking for a mentor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gettera

Hello! I'm Hannah. I'd like to start turning pens for my senior capstone project, but learning off the internet isn't my strong suit. If there's anyone nearby who would be willing to share the hobby they love with an eager learner, I'd love to meet you! Even if you aren't nearby, I want to hear about how you got started doing this and any tips you might have learned along the way :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Tip number 1...........This isn't a cheap hobby.
Tip number 2........... You started the right way. A mentor will save you everywhere.

Welcome to the IAP

magier412

Hi Hanna and welcome to the IAP.

Don't let him scare you off, LOL.

While it's true that this isn't a cheap hobby, it is a lot of fun and very rewarding. Frankly, I don't know any hobby worth doing that doesn't end up being a little expensive. :)

I do agree that you are starting the right way. Finding a mentor - which you should be able to do, since we are everywhere ;) - is the absolutely best way to get into this obsession, er, I mean hobby.

Good luck and happy turning! Don't hesitate to ask questions and browse through the tutorials here. It's a wealth of great information and people that know their stuff! I have learned so much here.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Hello! I'm Hannah. I'd like to start turning pens for my senior capstone project, but learning off the internet isn't my strong suit. If there's anyone nearby who would be willing to share the hobby they love with an eager learner, I'd love to meet you! Even if you aren't nearby, I want to hear about how you got started doing this and any tips you might have learned along the way :)

Hi Hannah,

I live in the Little Turtle Subdivision near SR 161 and Hamilton Road. Feel free to get a hold of me via PM. I'd be glad to assist if I can.

Mike

Magicbob

Hi from up north.
If you can make it to Hartville, you wont be disappointed.
Be sure to take Mike up on his offer, he is one of the best.

lwalper

Expensive? Doesn't have to be. True, you need a small lathe and a few turning tools, but the kits really aren't that much -- and your own creativity is free. Happy turning!

stonepecker

Anyone that would join this group of wood fools isn't going to be scared.
Hannah, this is the most fun I have had in 35years. You go at your own pace. You do what you want to do. You can learn something every day here in the IAP.

Get ahold of Mike.......he is one of the better members here. AND he is close to you. I am willing to bet that you will find an open door, a world of knowledge, and a peace you very seldom find in any hobby.

I can hardly wait to see your first pen.

Top Bottom