High Gloss finish on Hard Maple Swirled Tiger Strip Roadster Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ziegler WoodWork & Spec.

Sorry I thought I'd have posted many more pens then this, now my second pen.
Now correct me if someone knows better, but this material came from a blank I cut from a beautiful piece of Tiger Strip (curly Maple) Maple.
So I call it Swirled Tiger Strip but if it has another name please let me know.
This is the Roaster Pen and I know its not suppose to be that large but I did not want to lose any more of the beauty then I all ready did.
This has to be one of the most awesome looking pieces of Maple I've seen.
CA Glue 8-10 coat finish polished to about 12,000 grit w/water
Feel free to give some feed back.

Kind regards,

Tim J. Ziegler
Ziegler WoodWork & Specialty

Attachments

• IMG_20220503_161855945.jpg
    IMG_20220503_161855945.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20220503_161900050.jpg
    IMG_20220503_161900050.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20220503_162035417.jpg
    IMG_20220503_162035417.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 185
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That's a stunningly beautiful blank for sure. And your finish looks excellent, as well as each transition.

Feedback... A slightly thinner middle on the lower section, and a slightly larger diet for the middle of upper section. I aim try to have equal proportions on both sections for the middle OD.

My comments are meant to be suggestions - not a critique. ;) And I will also say without reservations- you are much more skilled for your second pen than I was, so be proud!

MedWoodWorx

Sorry I thought I'd have posted many more pens then this, now my second pen.
Now correct me if someone knows better, but this material came from a blank I cut from a beautiful piece of Tiger Strip (curly Maple) Maple.
So I call it Swirled Tiger Strip but if it has another name please let me know.
This is the Roaster Pen and I know its not suppose to be that large but I did not want to lose any more of the beauty then I all ready did.
This has to be one of the most awesome looking pieces of Maple I've seen.
CA Glue 8-10 coat finish polished to about 12,000 grit w/water
Feel free to give some feed back.

Kind regards,

Tim J. Ziegler
Ziegler WoodWork & Specialty
very nice work, looks like marble, love the subtle grain and color

That's a stunningly beautiful blank for sure. And your finish looks excellent, as well as each transition.

Feedback... A slightly thinner middle on the lower section, and a slightly larger diet for the middle of upper section. I aim try to have equal proportions on both sections for the middle OD.

My comments are meant to be suggestions - not a critique. ;) And I will also say without reservations- you are much more skilled for your second pen than I was, so be proud!
Thanks Mark, I appreciate the feed back. It does help I've done other lathe work in my business as well. but Pens are a whole different game for sure. But exceptionally rewarding.

JohnU

Your second pen and a CA finish… You are well on your way. I used to make more smaller diameter pens but as you said, you lose much of the character when you turn them down. I now set aside blanks of character for larger ballpoint and rollerball sets but sometimes it's still a roll of the dice until you get to the middle of the blank. Lol. Beautifully done! I look forward to seeing what's next.

Sataro

Great job on that pen. That wood grain really grabs your attention. Great job on that CA finish.

Your second pen and a CA finish… You are well on your way. I used to make more smaller diameter pens but as you said, you lose much of the character when you turn them down. I now set aside blanks of character for larger ballpoint and rollerball sets but sometimes it's still a roll of the dice until you get to the middle of the blank. Lol. Beautifully done! I look forward to seeing what's next.
Thanks John

TDahl

I think everyone has different tastes as far as the shape and diameter size of the pen goes. I tend to like the fatter pens, and definitely with your pen it shows off the great grain detail of the blank (kind of like a bigger painting canvas.) I also think the finish is superb which accents the grain pattern even more. Well done! Thanks for sharing.

I think everyone has different tastes as far as the shape and diameter size of the pen goes. I tend to like the fatter pens, and definitely with your pen it shows off the great grain detail of the blank (kind of like a bigger painting canvas.) I also think the finish is superb which accents the grain pattern even more. Well done! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks TDahl,
It was a rewarding project to say the least.

greenacres2

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the feed back. It does help I've done other lathe work in my business as well. but Pens are a whole different game for sure. But exceptionally rewarding.
Definitely a different animal!! Great looking turning, and finish. Like others have expressed, a bit thick for the hardware for my taste, but still beautiful.

Over time you'll find the size of a turning brings a different look to wood. A piece of figured walnut that would be a stunning box lid might be completely lifeless as a cigar pen. Your eyes will learn to adjust raw material to scale the more you do.

And…at times I wish I'd stopped the diameter a half millimeter sooner, other times I've been richly rewarded for taking one last cut—the wood will always speak if I let it!!

Welcome aboard!
Earl

Definitely a different animal!! Great looking turning, and finish. Like others have expressed, a bit thick for the hardware for my taste, but still beautiful.

Over time you'll find the size of a turning brings a different look to wood. A piece of figured walnut that would be a stunning box lid might be completely lifeless as a cigar pen. Your eyes will learn to adjust raw material to scale the more you do.

And…at times I wish I'd stopped the diameter a half millimeter sooner, other times I've been richly rewarded for taking one last cut—the wood will always speak if I let it!!

Welcome aboard!
Earl
Thanks Earl,
For sure: as I'd mentioned also, I make my living in my shop doing anything from Cabinets to chair spindles, furniture repair and refinishing, Going into Pen turning, duck calls and other small misc. turning is sooooo gratifying. I have probably got 20 plus pen kits just waiting to be married up with a beautiful piece of hand selected wood, along with a few duck and deer call kits etc...
thanks again.

Tim

Welcome aboard!
Earl
Thanks Earl, I have saved blanks and pieces for well over 30 years and have finally started playing and making small things again.
I was a hobbyist when I started but soon it become my business and once its that the playing seems to go away. So now I am bringing that back.

Top Bottom