Hidden Polls Not Totally Hidden!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Any contest managers who plan to use hidden polls should be aware that they are not completely hidden.

There is no built-in way for our forum software to hide poll results, but years ago I installed a mod to give us that feature. Forum Runner ignores that mod, so anyone visiting from a device running Forum Runner (smartphone, tablet) can see the poll results.

I can't fix that because it would require a Forum Runner mod, and the Forum Runner people have never responded to my inquiries about it.

So, use "hidden" polls with caution!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When we became aware of this last year, I posted a poll, ostensibly for no real reason, actually to see what the impact of viewing results might be.

Here is the thread;http://www.penturners.org/forum/f17/forum-runner-93382/

2% at that time. But about 50% had the ability to see it---so if we let them know of this flaw, it WILL flourish. (It may, even if they have to discover it---FWIW)_

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
According to research, hiding a poll will change the results as opposed to allowing the voters to see who is in the lead. This is the reason national election results cannot be broadcast until the polls have closed, nation-wide.

So, since the membership wants to vote on all the winners, there is a likelihood the results will be a popularity contest. (of the maker, not the product)

But it sounds like this is unavoidable.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I could set up offsite polls on the Joomla site that would be hidden I believe. If there is any interest, I can begin looking into it.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I could set up offsite polls on the Joomla site that would be hidden I believe. If there is any interest, I can begin looking into it.

Does anyone have any idea if this is "common knowledge" among the users? I've known about it for a couple of years. Occasionally I will get a PM from a member telling me that it is possible to see hidden polls through Forum Runner. To my knowledge there has been no discussion of this on the site.

Jeff, is there a way to exclude certain threads or specific forums / sub-forums from Forum Runner?

Curtis, I think hidden polls are more objective than open polls. having off site polls may be a good idea but will cause more work. You have the Puzzler contest, the calendar and the entry forms . Keeping up with polls may be a challenge. Should we recruit you an assistant if it becomes necessary for you to set up polls? Oh, and are you feeling better?

Top Bottom