Hi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sheryl

HI everyone. I am a new turner. My brother got me interested in turning and I have so far just been turning pens and giving them to co-workers. I hope to eventually get good enough to make a little money on the side. I started out on my father's old Ryobi ML618 lathe but my hubby bought me a Nova Comet for our anniversary :p so I use the Ryobi for CA finish and sanding. I'm still learning and would love any tips and tricks or good places to get supplies.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Welcome from Sachse. You'll learn all kinds of do's and don'ts here. Lots of different ways to do things as well. The main thing is find out what works best for you and enjoy what your doing.

jttheclockman

HI everyone. I am a new turner. My brother got me interested in turning and I have so far just been turning pens and giving them to co-workers. I hope to eventually get good enough to make a little money on the side. I started out on my father's old Ryobi ML618 lathe but my hubby bought me a Nova Comet for our anniversary :p so I use the Ryobi for CA finish and sanding. I'm still learning and would love any tips and tricks or good places to get supplies.
Check the library here. (under resources)There are many lists of different vendors for different things. Good luck and have fun.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome to IAP and loads of fun!

An older thread, somewhat long, but very helpful:

David350

Hi Sheryl, welcome from Dallas (Prosper). One thing you might do is be sure to sign up to receive emails from exoticblanks.com, beartoothwoods.com, and bereahardwoods.com. These are just a few of the well-respected vendors that regularly send out emails with nice specials that help stretch your purchasing budget. All three of these vendors allow for "mix and match" pricing. That is, if you buy 10 each of 5 different pen kits, you get the 50 piece discount pricing on all 5 different pen models. Also, if you watch the specials emails on all 3 of these over a period of time, you should see a lot of the pen kits you like go on sale at least once throughout the year. Hope this helps.

P.S. I know silver is for 25 years of marriage, but was curious as to how many years marriage is a lathe the customary gift? Asking for a friend... :)

Sheryl

Hi Sheryl, welcome from Dallas (Prosper). One thing you might do is be sure to sign up to receive emails from exoticblanks.com, beartoothwoods.com, and bereahardwoods.com. These are just a few of the well-respected vendors that regularly send out emails with nice specials that help stretch your purchasing budget. All three of these vendors allow for "mix and match" pricing. That is, if you buy 10 each of 5 different pen kits, you get the 50 piece discount pricing on all 5 different pen models. Also, if you watch the specials emails on all 3 of these over a period of time, you should see a lot of the pen kits you like go on sale at least once throughout the year. Hope this helps.

P.S. I know silver is for 25 years of marriage, but was curious as to how many years marriage is a lathe the customary gift? Asking for a friend... :)
Well we have been only married 3 years. Just tell your other half you're overdue šŸ˜› and thanks for the tips

RichAldrich

Welcome from Colorado!

Notebook and Pen. After each pen write down what you could and should do better. Process improvements. Tool requirements.
Take a lesson if possible. A good instructor will save you thousands on tools you do not need. Learn to use the ones you have. Nobody cares if you use High Speed Steel or Easy Wood Tools. Craft Supplies USA, Packard, Turners Warehouse, Exotics.

howsitwork

Sheryl

welcome to the forum from theUK

lots of inspiration and useful advice and lessons on here , have fun

MTViper

Welcome from the Abilene area, Sheryl, There's a great woodturning club in Ft Worth that's not too far from you. Here is a link to their site: http://www.wntx.org/ . They have been having zoom meetings lately but I think they are going to have an in person meeting next month.

Steve

Top Bottom