Hi there, let me tell you how I got here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tokken

Hello !
I'am a metal worker.
In that shop we have actually a lot of costumer asking us if we can make wood parts too. We couldn't, but there was a woodworker right next to us and we where directing the costumer to him. The man eventually retired and my boss decided to make a woodworking space in our shop.
He hired a woodworker, and asked me and a coworker to help him setup then help with the orders at first.

That was it : I never had touched woodworking before that, and I just loved it !
I wished to do it as a hobby so I talked to the new woodworker at our shop, and the guy actually gave me a small lathe and a pen mandrel, telling me "stay safe, and have fun".
That's where I'm at. I turned a few things and find it really soothing. Now I'll try pens and hopefully, one day, sell a few to finance my new passion !

Thanks everyone !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

Hello !
I'am a metal worker.
In that shop we have actually a lot of costumer asking us if we can make wood parts too. We couldn't, but there was a woodworker right next to us and we where directing the costumer to him. The man eventually retired and my boss decided to make a woodworking space in our shop.
He hired a woodworker, and asked me and a coworker to help him setup then help with the orders at first.

That was it : I never had touched woodworking before that, and I just loved it !
I wished to do it as a hobby so I talked to the new woodworker at our shop, and the guy actually gave me a small lathe and a pen mandrel, telling me "stay safe, and have fun".
That's where I'm at. I turned a few things and find it really soothing. Now I'll try pens and hopefully, one day, sell a few to finance my new passion !

Thanks everyone !
Welcome from Greece.

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum, and your new found hobby.
You have just found that woodworkers are a most generous group of people.
Check out the library found under 'Resources' for plenty of information to help you along.

Alan in N Ireland

randyrls

Welcome! I spent 3 months in Paris in the 1970's Good times and I like to ski. Spent a week in Chamonix skiing and have been other places in France as well.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome. A tip in moving from metal work to wood work: Wood moves. Metal can be much more precise than wood.

Even with pens, wood can contract and expand with humid changes, and green wood will contract and expand even more.

Glad you like this new "work"! Enjoy.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Hello and Welcome to our home. We have many ideas and Downloadable PDF tutorials for your review.

Here's an Introductory Document for Reference.

Complete List of Forums

Menu of all IAP Library Articles, References, Tips, Tutorials

Pen Kit Suppliers - World Wide

Which Pen Suppliers do you Purchase from? (Poll)

Have Fun!

magpens

@tokken

Welcome to IAP, Tokken ! ! !

Your "conversion" to wood-working is all very well . . . . BUT . . . .

it is worth keeping in mind that you can make a very wide variety of pens with a metal-working lathe in just about any material you choose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom