Hi from the UK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cortijero

I'm semi-retired and spend my time between the UK and Spain. We own a little bit of property there - mainly an old farmhouse (cortijo) with a couple of acres of land which is mainly olive.
I've always had an interest in working with wood and for around 10 years used to do quite a lot of turning - mainly spindlework. Then for the past 20 years other aspects of life took over. Just recently I got in touch with a local wood turning group and was bowled over by the pen making. I'm now rekindling that love of turning - I've spent a little bit on a good second-hand lathe and looked out all my old tools and useful items. I've also bought a few of the basic kits and raided my workshop for offcuts to make into blanks. Six pens made so far and I'm pleased with the results and another 10 sets of blanks made up to use in the next week.
It's good to know this group exists with such a wealth of knowledge and expertise - I'm sure that I'll be calling on it from time to time. Thanks.
Tony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome Tony, I also travel around, in my case, between Somerset and The Black Forest in Germany.I have had a go at turning most things but always come back to making pens. This site is simply brilliant.

Let me know when you start selling Olive blanks!
Cheers
Brian

rockb

Hey Tony, good to see you. Lots of great guys and good wood to be found here. Enjoy,
Rocky

cortijero

Hi Brian - good to hear from you. In our part of Spain (near Granada) it is truly 'olive country' pretty much monoculture. In rural areas (where we have our house) winter heating is almost solely from firewood ...... olive wood .. . I currently have around 3 tons of 5-6 year old seasoned logs stored away and at some point soon will be taking a saw to selected pieces -- I'll let you have some samples once I've got a few decent pieces out.
Tony

Thanks Tony, you burn Olive Wood??????? ( I am on my way with a truck load of Pine! I'll swap)
Joking apart, I have been looking for Olive for ages. Please keep me on record and let me know when you have some available.
Cheers
Brian

Top Bottom