Hi from the Rio Grande Valley of Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Just joined and wanted to say "Hi" to all. I am a retired Building Contractor and lived most of my life in the DC area (a great place to be FROM now) and Northern Virginia. I have been permanently in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas since 2009 and wish that I had gotten here sooner.

I have been turning pens for about 15 years now and can't believe I haven't run in to this Forum until now. This is just a hobby for me and I usually give them all away to friends although I have sold a few to kind of cover expenses. I work with all kinds of materials, wood, Corian, acrylic, and antlers. I was doing a search for some teak decking from USS Navy ships and came upon the site. I find it almost impossible to purchase any wood from those ships. I have a great-grandson who is in the Navy and I wanted to make him a couple of pens as mementos. I have ordered some wood from the USS New Jersey and am awaiting delivery. If any of you members know of a source please PM me. When I get this wood, I am not sure what kind of finish to put on them. This will be old wood so I don't think there will be any oil in it. I use a CA finish on most to my pens and I hope that this will be adequate. So, any help will be appreciated. I have learned that you are never too old to learns new tricks.

Ron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hi there, Ron !! . Warm welcome to IAP !! . :D

I do CA finish on all my wood pens .

magpens

I also use CA on all of my pens but I have not done any with teak wood. I guess I will just experiment. I'll let you know how they turn out. I guess you are having real winter weather now.

With regard to the weather here, it is more like Texas than any other part of Canada !! . LOL !! . . Well, by that I mean, not really anywhere near as cold as elsewhere in Canada, but quite wet ..... lots of rain this year, no snow ..... I would love to spend a winter in TX. . I hope you are enjoying your weather.

Good luck on your Teak search from U.S. Navy ships. It took me over 2 years, and some cash, some not too cheap, to get 10 pieces from the remaining WWII Battleships (all but the Arkansas). Here's a site to look at that might help you out (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museum_ships) you'll need to cut and paste it. I do have pieces off the USS California that I can ship to you, enough for at least one pen. There is no COA though but a really neat story I'll share with you if you're interested. Welcome to the Forum and be sure to give your Great Grandson my appreciation for his service. Go Navy!!!

Good luck on your Teak search from U.S. Navy ships. It took me over 2 years, and some cash, some not too cheap, to get 10 pieces from the remaining WWII Battleships (all but the Arkansas). Here's a site to look at that might help you out (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museum_ships) you'll need to cut and paste it. I do have pieces off the USS California that I can ship to you, enough for at least one pen. There is no COA though but a really neat story I'll share with you if you're interested. Welcome to the Forum and be sure to give your Great Grandson my appreciation for his service. Go Navy!!!
Would love to have the teak from the USS California. Please let me know how much you need to send it to me. I guess we can handle this via PM.

Would love to have the teak from the USS California. Please let me know how much you need to send it to me. I guess we can handle this via PM.

All I need is your address. No charge was the agreement that the person who first gave it to me stipulated. I love sharing part of our history and I love all things U.S. Navy...and Marines, I spent a year with the Marines so I feel I'm a part of their team too. You can PM me your address and I'll get it sent out, probably, next week as I only go to the Post Office once a week. I hope you enjoy it.

Lived many years over the mountain in the Northern Neck (Lancaster County - White Stone). Virginia is one of the most beautiful states but I am liking the warm winters down here in Texas What kind of medium do use use for your pens? Is it a hobby or a side-line? Thanks for the response.

EricRorabaugh

I was able to work in Lancaster County for a few days last year. Beautiful in it's own way. I worked in Texas one summer with my dad. It's nice but way too hot for me. I've made pens with wood, resins , hybrids, antler.

A picture of a couple of my popular antler pens.

Attachments

• IMG_1749.jpg
    IMG_1749.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 75
Top Bottom