Hi From the Kalahari South Africa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

clifford

The name is Cliff.
Have been a member since 2009, and have gleaned a lot of information from this site, and its members.

I am situated outside of Kathu in the Northern Cape and on the edge of the Kalahari desert. (amongst all the iron ore mines)

Have been turning on and off for about 40 years.

Been turning pens since 2008. and am looking at going kit-less at present.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rockb

Hi Cliff, good to hear from you.....what the heck are ya doin' way down there? ; ) It's always interesting (at least to me) to get acquainted with folks in other parts of the world. So..........if you'd like to tell, we'd like to listen. : ) Rocky

Marko50

Welcome Cliff, from North Central Utah, smack dab in the middle of the great Rocky Mountains!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Clifford, welcome to the IAP.

Here's a little story for your amusement:biggrin:

I'm sure you know the Sishen works, next door to you? It brings back nightmares for me. :frown:

Many years ago, I drove there one day from Alberton to install a heavy variable speed drive in the top of a very high outdoor gantry crane.
The problem was that the day before I had a vasectomy....:eek:

Well, I don't know if it was the long drive there or the climb up the side of the crane with my tool bag on my back, but something 'popped':frown:

I was black and blue from my knees to my chest and probably should have gone to hospital straight away. But I didn't and finished the job and drove home.
I phoned my boss enroute to tell him I wouldn't be in the next day but he got upset with me and wanted me to go via another job in Kimberely first.

I drove nonstop back to the office late that night and wrote my notice on loo paper and left it on his desk. :cool:

I went back to work three days later to find he had 'left' and I got his job.:)

jimjam66

Welcome Clifford, from an expat Durbanite living in England. Still crying with laughter from Steven's comment! Steven, I'm probably not the first to say that that took balls ...:rolleyes:

clifford

Steven, I know Sishen well enough. did quite a bit of work for our company there and still supply stuff every day.
I worked for three days on the stacker and reclaimer (knerses) sorting out the collision avoidance system. it was receiving false information and shutting down the machine, only to find out afterward that the problem was caused by a dry joint in one of the switch boxes in the machine control room causing a spike on the 50hz of the mains. it was about 43 degrees C all the days working in the open on the top of the machine.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hello from Ohio... 40 yrs! :eek: Please post what you have done! I'm seriously interested to see any pics you may have. Thanks for coming back.

clifford

One of my pens

Hi from a hot humid Kalahari Desert that looks tropical at the moment after all the rain.

Junior gentleman in gun metal wearing acrylic. what took the most time was aligning the cap and body when closed.

Any comments appreciated.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC05133.jpg
    DSC05133.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 104
Top Bottom