Hi From Queensland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KJA

Returning turner who needed a hobby. I enjoy turning wood blanks followed by hybrids. My favourite woods on hand are black Wattle, Gidgee, Mallee, Brigalow, Beefwood, Hairy Oak, Myall, Salmon Gum, Belah, Blood Wood, Red River Gum... always looking to expand wood types.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

PenPal

you live in that part of australia to enjoy that list of timbers.I have a particular liking to these as well as the Tasmanian Huon Pine,Blackwood,Myrtle etc then moving over to Sth Australian Brown and Red Mallee Burls, we are so fortunate in this country.Some of my all time favourites up nth are Conkerberry,The broad featured Beefwood from the .Kimberly. Enjoy the forum mate I do.

Peter.

Reactions: KJA

KJA

you live in that part of australia to enjoy that list of timbers.I have a particular liking to these as well as the Tasmanian Huon Pine,Blackwood,Myrtle etc then moving over to Sth Australian Brown and Red Mallee Burls, we are so fortunate in this country.Some of my all time favourites up nth are Conkerberry,The broad featured Beefwood from the .Kimberly. Enjoy the forum mate I do.

Peter.
Thanks mate. Very nice timbers you have in that lot. Enjoying the articles/posts and pens immensely. If can help with a few bits and pieces always happy to.

robutacion

G'day and welcome to the IAP family, from South Australia.

This is certainly the place to learn and enjoy sharing your turnings, your neck of the woods has great woods as it does all other states in Australia.

Best of luck...!

Cheers
George

KJA

G'day and welcome to the IAP family, from South Australia.

This is certainly the place to learn and enjoy sharing your turnings, your neck of the woods has great woods as it does all other states in Australia.

Best of luck...!

Cheers
George
Definately the place George! Oh sooo many great places around the world on my wishlist of where I would like some timber from. So much wood envy even more so after a quick looksie in the gallery.

Cheers,

Ken

Alan Morrison

Welcome cobber from N Ireland. I spent 12 years in Orange NSW working at the Christian school there.
There is a wealth of information to be gleaned from this forum, and check out the library.
Alan

KJA

Welcome cobber from N Ireland. I spent 12 years in Orange NSW working at the Christian school there.
There is a wealth of information to be gleaned from this forum, and check out the library.
Alan
Alan, thanks mate. What a place for a lad from Ireland to end up for a dozen years, was once a regular traveller through the area. Lots to learn and feel like i am gonna spend quite a bit of time in the library, archives and searching.

I recently got my hands on a Pen Wizard. Looking forward to reading up on all the info here on it's uses.

Ken

Woodchipper

Welcome or should I say, "G'day, mate." You mention wood species I have never heard of before. Need to take a bit of time and research them. Don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of good folks and the Library is a great resource. And you don't need a library card!

KJA

Welcome to the forum from another Qlder.
I have a timber fetish as well.
Hi Ironwood, see you are from one of my favourite cities. Beautiful wood up that way. A bit of a fetish... uh huh. We might have to get into that one day mate. Thanks for the welcome!

KJA

Welcome or should I say, "G'day, mate." You mention wood species I have never heard of before. Need to take a bit of time and research them. Don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of good folks and the Library is a great resource. And you don't need a library card!
G'day Woodchipper, thanks for the welcome mate. Just lucky to be in a area where one or two nice bits of wood grow.
Really enjoying the resources here. She's a ripper. Great place to sit down with a coldie and have a captain cook around.
Any help can be on the wood I have access to give us a shout. Thanks mate.

magpens

G'day, mate !!! . Welcome to IAP !! . I used to call Adelaide home !

Stock up on all that wood ... it's like gold to us !!! . You could support your hobby by selling to us !!

Alan Morrison

Alan, thanks mate. What a place for a lad from Ireland to end up for a dozen years, was once a regular traveller through the area. Lots to learn and feel like i am gonna spend quite a bit of time in the library, archives and searching.
I recently got my hands on a Pen Wizard. Looking forward to reading up on all the info here on it's uses.
Ken
G'Day Ken. My sister and her husband are over here currently and head back to Australia in a couple of weeks time.
They live in Elanora, Gold Coast. Anywhere near you?

A pen wizard? you really have the bug early on. It's a bottomless pit.
Alan

KJA

G'Day Ken. My sister and her husband are over here currently and head back to Australia in a couple of weeks time.
They live in Elanora, Gold Coast. Anywhere near you?

A pen wizard? you really have the bug early on. It's a bottomless pit.
Alan
G'day Alan, a couple hundred km's west of me at the moment. Be a nice time of the year to be visiting over there at moment I reackon!

Did they bring you any pressies? Some good burl suppliers down that way and some very nice native timbers to the area and Banksia pods.

All being equal I am planning on going out on a wood hunt this arvo. If do and find some will post up a pic or two.

Ken

KJA

G'day, mate !!! . Welcome to IAP !! . I used to call Adelaide home !

Stock up on all that wood ... it's like gold to us !!! . You could support your hobby by selling to us !!
G'day magpens, thanks for the welcome. The City of Churches and The City of Sin. Great place always loved up in the hinterlands amongst the historic villages.

With luck will be going on a bit of a drive and collecting this arvo. Will post up a piccie or two if can get anything.

Always happy to share when I have anything spare.

Ken

Ironwood

G'day Alan, a couple hundred km's west of me at the moment. Be a nice time of the year to be visiting over there at moment I reackon!

Did they bring you any pressies? Some good burl suppliers down that way and some very nice native timbers to the area and Banksia pods.

All being equal I am planning on going out on a wood hunt this arvo. If do and find some will post up a pic or two.

Ken

That puts you way out in the Pacific, are you on a boat ? Or did you mean to say East ?

KJA

That puts you way out in the Pacific, are you on a boat ? Or did you mean to say East ?
Ooops yes I did indeed. Although being in the middle of the pacific on a boat with a lathe and stockpile of wood would be fanbloodytabulous!

KJA

Welcome from Batlow, I too love timber but during winter the family throws it onto the fire before it hits the shed.
Hi Roly, luckily might get a few weeks of winter up here! Also lucky the Myall stinks when burning. Beautiful country down your way. What wood do you like?

Ken

Roly

I like a bit of River Red Gum, Tasmanian Blackwood (they call it Hickory around here), Olive wood and really anything I can get my hands on..

KJA

I like a bit of River Red Gum, Tasmanian Blackwood (they call it Hickory around here), Olive wood and really anything I can get my hands on..
Oh yeah love me a bit of River Red Gum, have a few slabs been making into coffee tables. Havn't had the pleasure of Tassie Blackwood yet. So many timbers on my list.

I have some Raspberry Jam wood coming looking forward to working with her.

Went for a drive and found some small Hairy Oak's pushed over by the council. Grabbed a few branches, will go back with the trailer in the next few weeks [emoji41]

Roly

Hairy Oak has to be one of the most fascinating timbers I ever turned into shavings. Loved it even though I never found a bit more than 100mm in diameter.

KJA

Hairy Oak has to be one of the most fascinating timbers I ever turned into shavings. Loved it even though I never found a bit more than 100mm in diameter.
G'day Roly,

She's a ripper to be sure and I have a soft spot for her. I find it up amongst the Brigalow/Belah country here. I have a few limbs around that mark, some trunk up to 700mm or so. I am lucky the council and gas companies clearing/widening roads and I go for a trip along and pick up what I want.

A mate called me up over the weekend wanting to know if I want a knobby bit of timber. No worries I said. Expecting a bit of something he picked up on his farm. Turns out is a Yellow Box burl 28" round and a few foot thick. Cannot wait for that to show up! There will be a pen or two in her.

Do you go hunt your wood or get it in?

Cheers,

Ken

KJA

@KJA, @Roly

I love to hear you guys talking about Aussie timbers !!! :) :);):D
Promise to pratter a bit about the imported stuff, only have some grapevine and mulberry at the moment but [emoji6].

Most of what I have in shed I have gone out and gathered or swapped for which leaves out most non-native wood.

What is your favourite wood to work with Mal. I am ignorant (my bad) of Canadian timber, what's she like to work with, what kind of colour/figure does she have?

Ken

Roly

I used to gather a fair bit but been a bit crook and unable to get out and about. I sort of rely on gifts and purchases now. Get a bit from from SA for exotics etc.

robutacion

@KJA, @Roly

I love to hear you guys talking about Aussie timbers !!! :) :);):D
Hahaha Mal, and I have been keeping silent reading about familiar stuff and one of the things I'm passioned about is great to see younger people taking on the challenge and actually stop for a minute and realise the resources all around them, finding the way to bring those resources home may be somewhat daunting but a bit of "Macgyving" goes a long way...!

This country has so many tree species that the world never heard of much less see and touch them, each state has unique native trees that fall in that same category, in this part of my "woods" I dedicated a great deal of time and effort to "represent" what is around, share them all with the world has been one of my priorities in these last 13 years so, I hope others are able the share with everybody what is "local" to them...!

There are many introduced tree species growing in Australia, each state tends to allow some introduced tree species to develop better than others one I don't believe grows in Australia is the Tasmania Blackwood, we have Black Wattle and Australian Blackwood both different than the Tasmanian Blackwood.

Anyway, that's my two bobs...! :)

KJA

I used to gather a fair bit but been a bit crook and unable to get out and about. I sort of rely on gifts and purchases now. Get a bit from from SA for exotics etc.
That's no good mate. Be happy to help with some blanks if you want any, full or some chunks for live edges. PM me if you would like.

KJA

Hahaha Mal, and I have been keeping silent reading about familiar stuff and one of the things I'm passioned about is great to see younger people taking on the challenge and actually stop for a minute and realise the resources all around them, finding the way to bring those resources home may be somewhat daunting but a bit of "Macgyving" goes a long way...!

This country has so many tree species that the world never heard of much less see and touch them, each state has unique native trees that fall in that same category, in this part of my "woods" I dedicated a great deal of time and effort to "represent" what is around, share them all with the world has been one of my priorities in these last 13 years so, I hope others are able the share with everybody what is "local" to them...!

There are many introduced tree species growing in Australia, each state tends to allow some introduced tree species to develop better than others one I don't believe grows in Australia is the Tasmania Blackwood, we have Black Wattle and Australian Blackwood both different than the Tasmanian Blackwood.

Anyway, that's my two bobs...! :)
And a shilling or two... very good points George. Blackwood(s) are a great example another, and one of my favourite timbers, is Myall. Represented in many areas but each being a "unique" variety (the one in my area the best, of course). A lesser known one I have just discovered is Raspberry Jam Wood a beautiful wood variety. I do live my native timbers George, and those from PNG, and do what I can to promote them. I do like to read on what people are doing with their species overseas and always feel a pang of... strewth she'd be good to have a crack at that, or that one.

You are the George I see that sells the blanks? I will have to go for a wander over to your site and have a look at what you have.

Cheers,

Ken

robutacion

And a shilling or two... very good points George. Blackwood(s) are a great example another, and one of my favourite timbers, is Myall. Represented in many areas but each being a "unique" variety (the one in my area the best, of course). A lesser known one I have just discovered is Raspberry Jam Wood a beautiful wood variety. I do live my native timbers George, and those from PNG, and do what I can to promote them. I do like to read on what people are doing with their species overseas and always feel a pang of... strewth she'd be good to have a crack at that, or that one.

You are the George I see that sells the blanks? I will have to go for a wander over to your site and have a look at what you have.

Cheers,

Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes, I'm that George from George's Bits of Timber...! ;)

My last attempt to "hunt" for wood was only a few weeks ago after a long break from gathering any woods, my old body is worn out and I find it difficult to handle the weights and the physical work involved with cutting wood, dragging, loading, unloading, stacking, sorting, etc, etc. but, there were 2 species of wood part of my 98 woods on my timbers list that I had run out and I needed some more and I knew where I could get both pretty much next to each other not far from me.

One was the local Scribbly Gum that A good friend from here (IAP) requested me some bigger blanks some time ago and I promised to get the wood to cut the blanks from and this is what it looked like 20190719_143901.jpg but the second species I was after was the Raspberry Jam that in my timber list is #64 and also known as Acacia Acuminate, one wouldn't think that is from the "Acacia" family but it is, there is only a small patch of these tree species that I found near me, one of those native trees that is very patchy (at least in this part of OZ) I didn't take any recent pics of these trees but I should as soon as I have the opportunity. Beautiful wood but is only one problem with it, it bleeds a lot when is cut and soon after, it makes a nasty gummy mess but after is dry is a pleasure to work with...!101_1117_(1).jpg 101_1013_(1).jpg101_1027z.jpg101_0998_(1).jpg

I like to think that I'm able to give you guys a good idea of my local woods and at the same time be as informative as I possibly can, we learn every day, huh...?

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom