Hi From Massachusetts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ColinH60

Hello Everyone,

My name is Colin and I'm a sophomore in high school. I am very new to woodturning but very eager to get started. I have turned only one pen but hope to turn a lot more. I am very open to advice about woodturning. Also are there places to get free decent wood blanks to practice on?

Thanks,

Colin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Welcome. What town do you live in? I grew up in MA.

Wood from the firewood pile, tree branches is good for practice.

Sometimes members here will offer a mixed box at a good price. Just ask for what you need.

ColinH60

Welcome. What town do you live in? I grew up in MA.

Wood from the firewood pile, tree branches is good for practice.

Sometimes members here will offer a mixed box at a good price. Just ask for what you need.
Thanks. Longmeadow in western mass. I have firewood but it has cracks. Is it still ok to use?

Dan Masshardt

Thanks. Longmeadow in western mass. I have firewood but it has cracks. Is it still ok to use?

Do you have a bandsaw to cut them down to pen size?

Look around for hardwood lumber scraps too. Look for things people are throwing away. I grabbed coffee table legs from the curb and turned them down.

You can also glue and clamp boards together to make turntable sizes.

monophoto

Colin -

If you are in Longmeadow, then it's not far from you to Berkshire Lumber in Sheffield. They have an extensive selection of turning stock - it's relatively inexpensive, but that means that a visit is expensive because you end up buying too much.

But if you are looking for less expensive options, visit Vermont Bowl Company in Wilmington, VT. It's a great place to visit for inspiration - mostly bowls and platters - but they also sell bags of cutoffs as 'kindling' - good quality maple, birch, ash and walnut that can be used to turn small items.

But there are also free sources of wood - branches trimmed from trees, trees that have been cut down. You have to deal with drying, but that's something that you need to learn about anyway.

Firewood is ok - possibly boring, and often with lots of checks, but its wood and may be just fine for learning how to turn pens.

The other thing to look for is one of the inevitable summer craft shows. We were at one last weekend in Northville, NY, and the weekend before that we were at Butternut Basin in Great Barrington. There are almost always some turners who can give you advise and point you in the direction of wood sources.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hi Colin,
If you'll commit to making a couple of pens for soldiers - either through IAP or another project, I'll be glad to send you a small flat rate box with a mix of nice pen blanks. Pecan, mesquite, sycamore, koa, Bethlehem olivewood, & a few others. I can get about 15-20 in a box.
Send me a pm if you're interested.
Ed

Scruffy

Welcome from Chelsea, Alabama

Colin enjoy and learn there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here

welcome from the mitten. I wish I had stared when I was you're age. You will be in very rare company when you get a few years in and are very good at turning. Pm me if you would like some blanks, I too would ask that you donate some to pens for troops.

Last edited:

healeydays

Hi Colin,
Welcome from NH. When you can send a PM, send me a PM with your name and address and I'll send you a small box of blanks and a couple pen kits.

Mike B
Bedford, NH

Top Bottom