Hi from Lincolnshire, UK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lincs_Biker

Hi Everyone,

Very glad to find this forum showing some amazing work and excellent ideas.
I've stumbled upon this from Pinterest looking for ways to do segmented blanks and hope to use the resources here to have a go at making some.

As per the title I'm based on the east coast of the UK and using the extra time at home to start making some pens in between work and family

My background is electronic engineering and I tend to 'tinker' with all things mechanical. I had tried pen turn on my metal lathe a couple of years ago and having had little success I decided to invest this year in a Charnwood w824 and try properly. So far I've made 2 pens and a pencil in the last 2 weeks and hope to find the time to keep learning and improving (not with photography though)
50967431-7521-4555-A768-F03117E5FC3C.jpeg
9C5F69B4-E301-44C0-928F-B6F00A17F862.jpeg
DF50A5B3-79A6-4FBD-B9A1-546B3D137AFE.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lincs_Biker

Thank you for the warm welcome :)

The light oak pen was for my mother in law with oak from a whiskey barrel that had a very strange smell when cutting. All are finished with Danish oil and CA. The first 2 were sanded every coat to 1200 grit. The pencil was done to 3500. I'm trying to get a smooth finish and experimenting with polishes at the mo.

Jans husband

Hi Symon, from just down the road!!

I have a Charnwood W821 now discontinued. Does everything I want it to do, except I can't find a collet chuck for ER32 collets with a 1MT taper.

Busy looking for an alternative one to attach to the faceplate, but proving difficult, but am I right in thinking yous has an MT2 headstock taper?

Mike

Lincs_Biker

Hi Symon, from just down the road!!

I have a Charnwood W821 now discontinued. Does everything I want it to do, except I can't find a collet chuck for ER32 collets with a 1MT taper.

Busy looking for an alternative one to attach to the faceplate, but proving difficult, but am I right in thinking yous has an MT2 headstock taper?

Mike
Hi Mike,

From my limited experience I've found the Charnwood kit to be good, yes it has mt2 headstock and tail.
I shopped around before I bought and wanted a 4 jaw Chuck with pen jaws to centre drill. The Viper 2 chick I got with it seems to work really well.
Symon

Top Bottom