Hi from Australia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi all,

Thanks for adding me to your group. I am new to all of this (both pen making and wood turning in general). Bought a 2nd hand lathe 2 days ago and a mandrel and mill yesterday. Turned my first 2 pens last night which weren't too bad but both turned unevenly (photos attached), hence I found this site. From what I have ascertained so far, it is because I am using the 30degree tail centre instead of a 60degree. Looks like another bit I have to buy.....

Yes my first 2 were slimlines... I had wanted to make a fountain pen but the guy who sold me the mandrel etc convinced me to practice in slimlines first. Probably a good call given the oval results.

Anyway looking forward to sharing more of my creations as I progress.

Cheers,
C

Attachments

• D241E38B-EB7A-47F5-8228-E9282257AD7F.jpeg
    D241E38B-EB7A-47F5-8228-E9282257AD7F.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 151
  • F57F4A38-B774-4924-B456-FFA948C1CBFB.jpeg
    F57F4A38-B774-4924-B456-FFA948C1CBFB.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 146
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi all,

Thanks for adding me to your group. I am new to all of this (both pen making and wood turning in general). Bought a 2nd hand lathe 2 days ago and a mandrel and mill yesterday. Turned my first 2 pens last night which weren't too bad but both turned unevenly (photos attached), hence I found this site. From what I have ascertained so far, it is because I am using the 30degree tail centre instead of a 60degree. Looks like another bit I have to buy.....

Yes my first 2 were slimlines... I had wanted to make a fountain pen but the guy who sold me the mandrel etc convinced me to practice in slimlines first. Probably a good call given the oval results.

Anyway looking forward to sharing more of my creations as I progress.

Cheers,
C
G'day mate, welcome to the IAP family all the way from South Australia. (you probably are next to me, I don't know...!)

Some more practice on low-cost blanks will do you a lot of good even though Slimline's are well known for not being the easiest pens to turn, simply too little material left in the barrels but yes, you need a 60° tail/dead centre only then you will know if the oval shaped barrels are from it or from the mandrel being bent.

Those kits are not that expensive so, I would keep those 2 pens somewhere you can display them and have something to compare with as your skill levels increase, for a first attempt, you did well.;)

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Courtney. Be sure to check out our puzzle contests. Puzzle #8 is still active and there are still two more to go.

G'day mate, welcome to the IAP family all the way from South Australia. (you probably are next to me, I don't know...!)

Some more practice on low-cost blanks will do you a lot of good even though Slimline's are well known for not being the easiest pens to turn, simply too little material left in the barrels but yes, you need a 60° tail/dead centre only then you will know if the oval shaped barrels are from it or from the mandrel being bent.

Those kits are not that expensive so, I would keep those 2 pens somewhere you can display them and have something to compare with as your skill levels increase, for a first attempt, you did well.;)

Cheers
George
Thanks George. Im in NSW so not quite next door. I ran the mandrel on a dead flat surface and it isn't bent so pretty sure it is the tail stock being 30 deg. Was really great that I found that out here before returning to the place I bought the mandrel and looking a little silly. My wood place has all the tools and the guy there was really patient and explained alot (apart from the 60 deg centre) so between him and everyone here I think I will get good at this.

Read an article here that said I only need 3 things to get good. Practice, practice and finally practice. Seemed like good advice.

I am definitely keeping the first 2. My wife quite liked the CA finished one so that went a little way to offsetting her upsetness at me buying the lathe. Ha ha.

Thanks again for the reply.

howsitwork

Welcome from the UK. Lots of really nice timbers over your way!

Its a fun hobby and this forum is great for suggestions and advice.

have fun

Ian

Top Bottom