Hi from Alberton, South Africa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Houtkop

Hi, I am Charles from South Africa.

I have been general woodworking for some time now, but never got around to turning. A few months ago my sister got given an old 4 poster bed that had missing finials. I decided to turn and carve 4 Flame finials as a gift, having never turned or carved anything in my life before. Looking for 'introduction' type videos on turning I came across pen turning and soon after finishing the finials on a cheap and nasty second hand chinese lathe, I bought a pen kit and mandrel, and the rest is history.

I do not do easy things, and after turning a few standard pens, I started experimenting. Attached is a photo of my first self made laminate and a single piece pen made from a branch I picked up in a forest on my recent vacation. I came across IAP in my quest to find out more about turning pens without using standard kits. Have already found some very useful information.

regards

Attachments

• My Own.jpg
    My Own.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 235
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hawkdave

Hi Charles and welcome to IAP.

Your pens look great. It is such an addictive hobby that you can go as far as you want to in turning pens, just check out some of the fine pens turned by the members on this forum.

If you check out youtube, you can find some great videos on turning for the beginner. Some of them are mediocre and you have to put up with a lot of talking, but there are some great tutorial videos on there. Once you find the video you like, you can subscribe to that persons channel.

Dave.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Howzit Wood Head...:biggrin:
Welcome from Wales. I used to live in Alberton...Mayberry Park, and Worked in Alrode. Small world:wink:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Charles.

Please consider posting photos of those finials in the Other Things We Make forum. I'd love to see them.

Those are some very nice pens & I really like that laminated blank. I hope to see more of your work in our upcoming BASH contests. Let me know if you have any questions.

Top Bottom