Hi from a hopeful beginner in Australia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello! I love using kitless fountain pens and would love to try and make my own. There are a small number of wonderful pen makers in Australia and I have watched some pen making videos that Stephen from Just Turnings has posted and I am intrigued. My brother in law is a woodworking teacher so I have access to some tools and his knowledge… but I haven't touched a lathe since high school (A while ago!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hello C ! ! . . Warm welcome to IAP ! ! . . :D

What state in Oz ? . . I lived in Adelaide for quite a few years.

JohnU

Welcome from Illinois. You should just jump in and start turning some wood. Worry about the kitless technical stuff after you warm up with the lathe and tools. You'll be surprised how quick it all comes back to you!

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska, USA. Your are right, there are some very outstanding and talented pen makers in Australia. I am also jealous of some of the wonderful timbers that are available there for making pens. Welcome to the IAP Community. - Dave

jrista

Welcome from Colorado! I admire our ambitions! Day one: kitless! :D I have greatly admired some of the kitless designs I've seen shared on this site. Demonstrates some true skill with small parts and fine detail. I have been turning....well, I guess I'd say pens about 8-9 months. I've learned a ton here on these forums, lot of helpful, skilled people here. I'm not ready to try kitless pen making yet, but I have little doubt that when that day arrives, I'll be able to find all the help I need here. No doubt, you will find all you need here as well!

I do recommend just picking up a lathe and giving some normal kit pens a try just to roll into things. IMO, best to start with a "Sierra" type kit (lots of them out there). They are single-segment, you can often make two pens off of a single blank (if they are longer than 5", 6" guaranteed), and they are a bit more forgiving than the "slimlines" that people often start with. Slimmies are two-segment, and don't leave much room for error (and also have the tendency to twist closed by themselves as you are writing, as most of the transmissions in slimlines don't have a stop to hold them open.) Best of luck!

Welcome from a person who is in transition and of no fixed address.(Long way to say I'm moving.) The secret to making kitless pens is to not over complicate the process and just get started. If you have a nib, nib holder and an ink cartridge you have a pen. All you need to do is to make the parts that hold it and make it look cool. Dive in, make mistakes, ask questions and most importantly enjoy the process and have fun.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Hello and Welcome to our home. We have many ideas and tutorials for your review.

Here's an Introductory Document for Reference.

Take a look at our Library of Tutorials listed on the Home Page under "General Announcements".

Here is a direct link to the Library of Tutorials Menu.

Here's a list of world wide Pen Suppliers.

Let me know if you find any others.

Have Fun!

Top Bottom