Hi everyone....just introducing myself

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Grant! I am posting this even though I am not a member of the SWM group. Lots of great folks from your area on this forum!

Even though I usually add the links below to welcomes in the "Introduction" forum, I did want to include these to you.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

DustyDenim

Grant: Welcome aboard to this great hobby. Looks like you are getting the hang of this penturning craft down pretty quickly as that is one very nice looking pen. Hopefully you can make it to our next SWMO Penturners meeting in March and you may want to consider attending the Midwest Penturning Gathering in Champaigne Illinois on April 17th.

Mac

Thanks MAC,
Yea I got sucked in......I was under the impression that this was an inexpensive hobby....LOL

I am laughing with you.
check out the Southwest Missouri club, I was at their first meeting, a good group of guys and gals.

thewishman

Welcome from Ohio. Yeah, we all thought that this would be a nice, inexpensive hobby when we started. After four years, I am starting to switch all of my bushings and tool to a new system - creating even more expense. At least making pens can pay for itself,,, eventually. (At least that is what I keep telling my wife. :wink:)

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Grant,
I am the coordinator of the Southwest Missouri local chapter. Welcome to the IAP! Our next meeting is March 20 at the Republic, MO Branch Library. Would love to have you. I will post driving directions and info on this local chapter forum before long. Joining the SW MO local chapter is free and you will get all the updates from our group. All you have to do to join is pm me your email address and I will add you to our mailing list. No spam, I promise! :eek:) Besides, we are short on jet airplane mechanics!
Hope to meet you soon.

And...your pen is great. Love that wood and the finish looks first class.

Last edited:

dale

I also would like to say welcome. Hopefully you can make the March meeting. I attended the fall meeting last year and it is a way to meet others in the area. Also they have someone do a demo great way to learn something new
And great contacts for purchasing thing you may need in the future.
Dale
Norwood, missouri

KenBrasier

Grant, welcome from the Ozarks, nice to have you. Since you're interested in pen turning, this is the place to be.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader

Welcome Grant to the Southwest Missouri Local Chapter. Got your email and placed you on the list. Driving directions to the March meeting are posted in the "Our Next Meeting" thread on this local forum.

Grvado

Wow.....have learned something already (JOY).....Now I know why I have had 3 Buckeye Burl blanks explode, Must be my glueing technique.

MrDave

Hi
I am in the maryland heights area and also somewhat new to turning. I belong to the st louis woodturners club. I do not have internet at home i am at the lib. I will send you my phone number by email. welcome.

excalibur

Grant
Welcome to the chapter!! I am also fairly new to this "inexpensive" hobby - luckily my wife is a fellow turner so she's patient :biggrin: I have attended one meeting so far and WOW is it ever worth it!! The whole group is so willing to share ideas and techniques I was so amazed. Also this is probably one of the best group of fellow enthusiasts I have had the joy to be around -- HOPE YOU ENJOY IT

Top Bottom