Hi Everybody

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glwalker

I joined this forum a while back but never introduced myself. I'm Gary Walker from Tampa Florida. I'm retired and I've done a lot of scroll sawing and now I'm into mini lathe stuff like tops, bottle stoppers and most recently PENS. Since I don't care for "long duration " projects lathe work is very satisfying.

As I said I've viewed this forum for months now and for me its like looking at the morning newspaper. I've learned a lot and its nice to see all the quality work and differences in style. The pics are great! You are "good people" and are always very helpful in answering questions and giving opinions. Thanks for being here.

Though I continue to be very much in the learning stage I'll try to post and contribute if I think I have something to say. But I am a pretty quiet guy.

Oh yea.... my wife and I do a few craft shows each year. She does sculped/inlaid carpets and I sell some of my hobbie (I don't think of it as "work". We have a web site with some of our stuff on it if you'd like to see the kinds of things we do. I haven't put any pens on it yet though.

The site is carpetartwoodart.com.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Gary, welcome from Texas.:cowboy: Whatever you do don't be influenced by pens you will see on this site. It will cost you your retirement check and a bit more to aquire the materials to make them, DAMIKT!:eek::biggrin: Can you hear me now?:wink:

tim self

Welcome to our world. And I am sorry to hear of your loss, (all your money), as previously stated. It can definately disappear as you fall deeper into the vortex.

fiferb

Welcome! Where in Tampa are you? I still visit my parents and sisters in Tampa (Town 'N Country area and Brandon) several times a year. Perhaps we could get together and say hello.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Gary! Good work on your web page!

Below is a link to a PDF file that goes over many aspects of pen turning from finish - to pens - to tools - to methods etc. It is not in detail but a good overview for pen turning. You probably know much or most of it already.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Also included below is a link to a new post that gives some information that people wished they had known earlier in pen turning. Some good information by those that make pens.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

glwalker

Repy:

Welcome! Where in Tampa are you? I still visit my parents and sisters in Tampa (Town 'N Country area and Brandon) several times a year. Perhaps we could get together and say hello.

I live in North Tampa on the edge of "Flatwoods"... a big county park.
yea.... maybe we can get together when you come down this way. You can Email me via our web site if that works for you. Or whatever!

I noticed you are in SC. I have a daughter in Greenville. Are you close?

glwalker

Thanks

Welcome Gary! Good work on your web page!

Below is a link to a PDF file that goes over many aspects of pen turning from finish - to pens - to tools - to methods etc. It is not in detail but a good overview for pen turning. You probably know much or most of it already.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Also included below is a link to a new post that gives some information that people wished they had known earlier in pen turning. Some good information by those that make pens.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Thanks for the links. I'll give them a look.

glwalker

Yer right....

Welcome to our world. And I am sorry to hear of your loss, (all your money), as previously stated. It can definately disappear as you fall deeper into the vortex.

Yea, I've got the expense side of this hobby down pat. But I need to do a whole lot of work on the income side!

Thanks for your reply.

fiferb

I live in North Tampa on the edge of "Flatwoods"... a big county park.
yea.... maybe we can get together when you come down this way. You can Email me via our web site if that works for you. Or whatever!

I noticed you are in SC. I have a daughter in Greenville. Are you close?

I'm about an hour SE of Greenville. If you get this way before I get your way, drop me a line. We'll figure out a way to hook up.

PenPal

Welcome from Australia to Florida

Garry,
Since you already sell at shows you will avoid some of the disallusionment suffered by so many of us so I believe you will continue with a level head with purchases and pens. All the best.

Kind regards Peter.

Top Bottom