Hi all, new guy here from Florida

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bill woodward

Hi all,
found the link to this site on the Wood Magazine forum site. my first love in woodworking is woodturning. i started in Jr High, santa Cruz California, 1959, used newspaper and yellow glue to attach a piece to the faceplate, and still have a bunch of bowels and such that my parents kept over the years.
i have had to use the carport, then the garage, along with spare rooms over the years to enjoy the hobby. and now, just last year, we,(sons, wife and I), finished my first ever, wood shop and tinker shop! this place is where the world is checked at the door and i do not re-enter the world until i'm refreshed......
back about 15 years ago, using half the garage, i made my first lathe. took a concrete drill driver, 1700/3400 rpm, mounted it on a piece of MDF, and plywood mounting plates to capture the drill. for faceplates, i used chevrolet intake valves, epoxyed and screwed to half inch plywood, cutting the stem off, and gluing a waste block of 2X4 to the ply. then glued wood turning pieces to the 2X4. a 6 inch piece of 1/4" steel angle became the tool rest and i used the dremel to make tools out of the handle end of several large flat files. parting, gouge, spindle gouge, etc......
last May i found a shopsmith in the paper and since i have wanted one for over forty years, bought it and have finished the maintenance, repair and it is now in the new shop. i have somewhere around one to two years til retirement and then i can go full time into that which i treasure almost as much as i treasure my wife and family!
i have obtained a Penn State ShopSmith pen mandrel, live tail center and SS adapter for 1" X 8TPI accessories.........now all i have to do is heal from the broke leg i got on 1/8/11, and i can get back to business!!!

take care, bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bill woodward

thanks for the welcome! i am going to learn the "how's" of pictures and i already have a few things from the old drill driver lathe.

Hey Herb, I sure hope we can connect! always enjoy meeting new friends! as soon as i can get around better on this walker, i'll post my phone number and invite you over.......first time in my life i have to hold on to something to walk!! but only 5 more weeks and counting!

looking forward to reading as much of this forum as i can.....

take care, bill

bill woodward

Welcome from Orlando.

Hi Brian, you're in Orlando.......I saw in another of your posts where you mentioned a business for woodworking?? is that the Woodcraft Shop now on 17-92?? i used to buy from the same place when it was on 436.....haven't been there ina few years, but will get there as soon as i can travel further than around town.....

take care, bill

bill woodward

thanks again to everybody for the nice welcome. i hope to be around for a long time, be able to share some of my limited experience and learn some new knowledge about turning!!

thanks, bill

Top Bottom