HFT variable speed grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wtturner

I'm considering the Harbor Freight Tools VS grinder as the foundation for a sharpening set up. It goes down to 2,000 rpm. Would plan on adding CBN wheels. Input/experience appreciated.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I shop at Harbor Freight...
I have bought small items at Harbor Freight often, and will do again...
But, I would never consider Harbor Freight to establish a 'foundation' for any of my long-term shop machines. Just not the quality I desire. BUT, the VS Grinder may be acceptable in the short term.

Best regards.

egnald

Hi Tim,

Ditto on what Mark James said about Harbor Freight. In fact my first lathe was an inexpensive Harbor Freight that I bought using a 25% off coupon. I went with Harbor Freight because I didn't want to spend a lot of money because at the time, I didn't know if woodturning was going to be my thing or not so I needed to start on the cheap side. It turns out that it was my thing so within a couple of years I bought a JET 1221VS lathe. (Of course, when I bought the JET I kicked myself for not starting out with a higher quality machine in the first place - but then again, it really did what it was intended to do).

I also think that HF is a good short term deal if you don't know for sure about the process itself, but like Mark said, I wouldn't consider using it to establish a foundation for anything.

Regards,
Dave

Woodchipper

I buy at HF. So far, I have had good luck with their products. However, power tools only have a 90 day warranty. Verify this. I bought a rechargeable screwdriver there for $10. Same as Lowe's at $30. Had it for several years and holds a charge a long time. Loads pof torque!

jttheclockman

My 2 cents. I would never buy any motor operated tool from HF because of the lack of quality. yes you can get lemons in any brand but chances are you will get a better product with a name brand. For non electrical items you can do well shopping there. One thing I always learned early in my career both in life career work and also hobby life is try to buy the best you can afford and even then if you need to sacrifice something to get a better product then it will pay off in the long run. I disagree with those that say just because you are not sure if you would like the hobby to buy cheap and then upgrade later. I know of many people who entered the scrollsawing field with the same attitude and bought cheaper saws thinking they would upgrade later if they liked doing that kind of work. Well what happens they buy poor quality machines and have all kinds of trouble keeping them operating smoothly and efficiently that it drove them away from the hobby. This can happen with most hobbies and even turning on a poor quality lathe. So I suggest at least get a mid range tool to give yourself an even chance to try the hobby. This way too if you go to sell it would also be easier to sell because it is not something no one would even considering buying.

To the OP about bench grinders, here is a nice break down of the better ones. Also some info as to what to look for. And if you are going to put CBN wheels on the grinder then stay as far away from HF grinder as you can. Do not do it. Will not handle speed needed. The CBN wheels will cost more than the grinder. If you are serious about those wheels be careful with grinder selection. CBN wheels are not for all grinders. Do your homework. Again just my opinions. Good luck. One other thing, get an 8" wheel grinder. You will be happier.
https://diywoodenplans.com/best-bench-grinder-for-sharpening-lathe-tools/#:~:text=Top 6 Best Bench Grinders for Sharpening Woodtuning,BUCKTOOL 8 in. Low-Speed Bench Grinder (200CH4L)

Last edited:

bsshog40

I bought my buffer from HF about 3 years ago. Have not had any problems with it. But my variable grinder is a Delta and also no problems with it in 3 years.

Woodchipper

I recall a contractor buying HF tools for special projects. If it only lasted for the project, OK as it was tax deductible as an expense. If it lasted for other projects, that was OK, too. OTOH, I have had name brand power tools conk out the first time. IMO, anything electrical or mechanical is subject to failure after it leaves the factory.

derekdd

If you do your homework, you'll find many brands out there have the same manufacturers, HF included. HF buys directly from the manufacturer and I've seen tools, like their Bauer line be identical to some Rigid, Triton, and Wen stuff.

Like with most overseas manufacturers, they are capable of building tools on par with any built here or elsewhere, but have budget and more premium lines. Milwaukee vs Ryobi for TTI, as an example.

power-tool-manufacturers-who-really-owns-them.gif

jttheclockman

If you do your homework, you'll find many brands out there have the same manufacturers, HF included. HF buys directly from the manufacturer and I've seen tools, like their Bauer line be identical to some Rigid, Triton, and Wen stuff.

Like with most overseas manufacturers, they are capable of building tools on par with any built here or elsewhere, but have budget and more premium lines. Milwaukee vs Ryobi for TTI, as an example.

View attachment 354382
This is all true and today it is hard to find the lineage to the manufacturer. But I caution you that price does matter many times. Just because a tool comes off the same line and has same look but different colors they are built to match the specs designated by the owner. The company name is at stake not the assembly line. I still rely on name brands as opposed to a discount brand. Many tool lines have been compromised by greed and thus lesser grade materials and place of manufacturing were sacrificed to make money for heads of companies. Many examples of overseas plant moving in all industries.

wtturner

My 2 cents. I would never buy any motor operated tool from HF because of the lack of quality. yes you can get lemons in any brand but chances are you will get a better product with a name brand. For non electrical items you can do well shopping there. One thing I always learned early in my career both in life career work and also hobby life is try to buy the best you can afford and even then if you need to sacrifice something to get a better product then it will pay off in the long run. I disagree with those that say just because you are not sure if you would like the hobby to buy cheap and then upgrade later. I know of many people who entered the scrollsawing field with the same attitude and bought cheaper saws thinking they would upgrade later if they liked doing that kind of work. Well what happens they buy poor quality machines and have all kinds of trouble keeping them operating smoothly and efficiently that it drove them away from the hobby. This can happen with most hobbies and even turning on a poor quality lathe. So I suggest at least get a mid range tool to give yourself an even chance to try the hobby. This way too if you go to sell it would also be easier to sell because it is not something no one would even considering buying.

To the OP about bench grinders, here is a nice break down of the better ones. Also some info as to what to look for. And if you are going to put CBN wheels on the grinder then stay as far away from HF grinder as you can. Do not do it. Will not handle speed needed. The CBN wheels will cost more than the grinder. If you are serious about those wheels be careful with grinder selection. CBN wheels are not for all grinders. Do your homework. Again just my opinions. Good luck. One other thing, get an 8" wheel grinder. You will be happier.
https://diywoodenplans.com/best-bench-grinder-for-sharpening-lathe-tools/#:~:text=Top 6 Best Bench Grinders for Sharpening Woodtuning,BUCKTOOL 8 in. Low-Speed Bench Grinder (200CH4L)
Thanks

Woodchipper

It seems that the quality standards are a determining factor in HF tools and the name brands...if there is any difference.
Story: We had a lady here that bought a new Rolls-Royce back in the late 60s. Took delivery and the next day drove to her husband's office. Wouldn't start!!!! R-R replaced the battery at no charge, if I recall.

Top Bottom