HF Pressure pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RHossack

Well my gauge and fittings came from the Surplus Center so I opened the nice red box that the pot was packed in.

First thing I noticed was the brass fittings I ordered aren't brass nor are they 90 degrees, they are 45 degrees.

I got out a few wrenches and attempted to take off the fittings off the top and the pipe. Those suckers are in there. Can't get them to budge.

Will have to wait until the son gets back from steelhead fishing for him to help disassemble.

Any hints on taking these out?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

They are stubborn, I held one end in my metal working vice and a wrench on the other. They use a locktite on them that can be removed with acetone after they are apart. You can also use a plumbing torch to heat them, that may be enough to pop the bond.

RHossack

> If your pot is the HF one, just heat the joints. You can use a hair
>dryer or torch. They will come apart easily then.
>They use a locktite on them that can be removed with acetone after they
>are apart

Thanks! Locktite, must be the pretty red flavored one. I'll try the hairdryer first since she just got this new fan dangled hairdryer.

mwenman

When I got mine, I just left the pickup tube in place and cut a hole in the trays I made to accomodate the tube. They also double as finger holes to take the trays out.

For the trays, just cut 3 9" circles from 1/2" ply, put one at the bottom and for the other 2, attached 4 legs. The top tray also acts like an air difuser to incoming air from the compressor doesn't blast straight down into any molds.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by Jarheaded

I couldn't get the pickup tube to unscrew, so I just snapped it sideways and it came off flush.

LOL

No subtlety there. Leave it to a Leatherneck to improvise!

"Guntar no like metal stick! Stick get in Guntar way!"

*grunt-snap-throw*:D

RHossack

Well I tried the new turbo hairdryer my wife bought and that
did no good. So out came the propane torch at work.
Heat the sucker, turn, heat turn and finally came loose.

Which brings another thought from this lame-brain.

Why do the pics I see resemble a 'Teflon Tape' party? If loctite
was good in the beginning shouldn't it seal good with all the brass
parts?

Next item. I disassembled the venturi, laid out the parts in order,
cleaned everything when the magic sound came, 'Foods On the table'.

Sit down for a nice dinner when my 4 year old grandson walks in holding the venturi and fittings, "What's this for G'pa"?

Is there a correct end for assembly?

When looking at one side I see a large dimple and one end has an opening. Which fitting goes where?

Firefyter-emt

The air inlet goes to the end without the hole. The hole where the air excapes the box is on the end that connects to the tank.

In this photo, the "hole" is on the top so that the air from the air compressor goes straight thru.

tank-5.jpg

I am not sure if they used locktite or a paste thread sealant. The tape works good because it is not messy and can be taken apart easy. Locktite is not designed to seal air fittings so I would not suggest using it. The gunk in the fittings you took apart can be cleaned with acetone.

BTW, you will want to deflect the air so that it goes to the side and not straight on the blanks. I used this fitting on mine.

tank-3.jpg

Originally posted by RHossack
Snipi

Why do the pics I see resemble a 'Teflon Tape' party? If loctite
was good in the beginning shouldn't it seal good with all the brass
parts?
Snipo

I'm one of the few who doesn't use T-tape. If you build the grand Christmas tree of fittings and bump it just so- they can (some or all) slip. I used Permatex gasket seal. GE or Locktite should work just fine as long as they are rated for pressure.

I found that some of the couplings that came on the pot that I left in place were leaking. I pulled a vacuum then used thin CA on them. I now have no significant leakage on my pressure or vacuum.

Top Bottom