HF powder coat system...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I believe some of you here do powder coating.
Have any of you used the HF powder coat system and if so does it work ok?
It's ITEM #:42802

And I presume that is everything I need to powder coat?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Havent checked that, I dont know much about it, but keep in mind, you have to use an oven that you dont cook food in. Last I heard, it's rather unhealthy. Just wanted to add that. [xx(]

its_virgil

John,
I have one, use if often and it works just fine. It is often on sale for $59.95. I get my powders from http://www.columbiacoatings.com
Do a good turn daily!
Don
PS: there is a tutorial on the Y! PT site in the files written by Ash Webb.
Originally posted by penhead
<br />I believe some of you here do powder coating.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Don..!
Skye mentioned oven, which is one of the things I was wondering about with that system. For the $60 kit, will I still need to get the oven HF sells. Or, if needed, I have an old toaster oven, think that would work.
I will check out that tutorial.
Yes, it's on sale now at 'local' HF for $59.99 (coupon expires today), which is why I was considering trying it.

Skye

I've read some things that mention baking the coat at just under 400 degrees. You just need to make sure your oven, whichever one, will bake high enough. I would think that heat is heat, so as long as the oven can maintain that heat steadily, you would be good to go. I'd say go for a toaster oven or the HF one, which ever is cheaper.

But again, I've never done it myself. [:p]

Oh, and one side note, if you plan on hanging the parts, keep in mind of how you'll get them into the oven while not removing the powder. Perhaps a larger oven would be better... [?]

its_virgil

John,
I use a toaster oven and I wish I had found one a little larger. Check goodwill and similar places. Got mine for $5 and now looking for a larger one. The tutorial shows how to make some racks for holding parts and tells all you need to know.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Thanks Don..!
Skye mentioned oven, which is one of the things I was wondering about with that system. For the $60 kit, will I still need to get the oven HF sells. Or, if needed, I have an old toaster oven, think that would work.
I will check out that tutorial.
Yes, it's on sale now at 'local' HF for $59.99 (coupon expires today), which is why I was considering trying it.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
<br />I believe some of you here do powder coating.

I got mine from HF and it works great, but don't forget you need a compressor also.
I use an old toaster oven for curing. To make sure it holds the temp, I went to the dollar store and bought an oven theromometer to know the exact temp and where to set the dial.
Got my clear PC powder from caswellplating.com.

Fangar

I use the Eastwood Gun, but have heard good things about the HF gun. I have a very large Toaster over than I purchased from Walmart on sale for 39 bucks, if I recall. It has a thermostat on it which is plenty accurate for PC. I welded a small rack for my bullet casings. 400 degrees for the cure flow temp, backed down to around 350 degrees for 20 minutes is about all you need. You only need 8-10 working psi for your gun, so even the smallest of compressors will work fine.

powder1.jpg

powder2.jpg

powder3.jpg

Really in my opinion, the HF oven is not cost effective. For the small size interior space that it offers, you can get a used kitchen oven for next to nothing that will yield the same results. The vapors created by the flowing powders is not good. I wear a respirator when blowing the coat, and use a cross fan to blow the fumes out my garage door when flowing it out. Once the powder has flowed (Gone from powder to a smooth liquid) the fumes greatly dissipate, though I still keep the fan running.

Cheers,

Fangar

its_virgil

Fangar,
I;ve noticed that after a few uses my jig (to hold the coated pieces) has a nice thick coat of powder(baked on). I'm thinking the melted powder is affecting the conductivity of the attached gator clip. Do yuou brush off the powder from your jig prior to baking? Your jig looks cleaner than mine, which is covered with various colors of baked on powder. I've also discovered that jigs made from galvanized or zinc plated metal parts seems to hamper electrical connections needed to stick the powder. What are your thoughts on these?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

jpick22

Unlike my gentle, politically correct friend Fangar, I will say more bluntly that if you were to pay Harbor Freight $329 (on sale) or $399 regular price for their "Powder coating oven", you would be wasting your money!

Several have already said, "heat is Heat!" - and most of us "users" have pretty well done the same thing and that is, headed for the "thrift shop" and paid $10-$25 for a used toaster oven - works perfectly BUT, get the tallest model you can find (none are very tall) because as you transfer your powder-coated pieces from your spray area to the oven, hopefully, you'll not have to experience banging your parts jig against the opening of the oven and watch all (or much of) your powder fall to the floor of the oven (off your parts). If so however, just take it out and blow all the powder off wuth your air hose - re apply powder and try it again.

I did look for a larger, taller easily available toaster oven - actually a little more than that with a grill, rotisserie, bun warmer, etc. that you can't really use. It's a George Foreman toaster-oven, available at Sears and other places, I'm sure, but it's $89 new - BUT is is about twice the height of your normal T-O's.

And that's the news as I see it.

Jay

Oh!!! FANGAR - who does your metal engraving on the brass casings?

Thank you,
Jay

Fangar

Jay,

I have a local guy in Sacramento that does them for me. Great work at a great price. I drop them off and pick them up a day or so later. In a pinch, he does them while I wait. Great guy.

James

Fangar

Don,

You are absolutely correct in your thinking. Mine looks clean as I glass blast it off every so often. If you plan on doing any larger parts, you might invest in a small cabinet from HF. Or they make a nice little gun that can shoot sand with. I used to do that. Just take the parts out in the yard and the sand goes into the grass. But if you don't clean the parts eventually you will get far less a charge parts.

Cheers,

Fangar

jay_pickens

Thanks, James

The engraving really looks classy. Do you knowing whether he used an "engraving machine" or does he do it by hand?

20-years ago, I went to Arkansas and studied under a man who used the GRS (pneumatic) tiny "air hammer" system. I left there and practiced for several months on an identicle system - then, things happened and I ceased to practice. My goal was gun and knife engraving. Today, in a special little room, sits my Gravermeister engraving system and all the accessories necessary - and I still don't know how to do it. I tried a couple of things, but when it comes to hand engraving on a "cylinder", it's a whole new ball game - not like working on a flat practice piece. At my present age, I kinda think I'll never be a good (or even an acceptable) engraver.

Thanks for any further information on his technique.

Jay

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />Jay,

I have a local guy in Sacramento that does them for me. Great work at a great price. I drop them off and pick them up a day or so later. In a pinch, he does them while I wait. Great guy.

James

Fangar

Jay,

I bet you wish you had stuck with that learning eh?

As far as his technique, I have caught a glimpse of his machine, but it is behind a wall in a small shop. I know that it is the arm style where the one point follows some sort of plate while the other is setup on the work. Next time I go in, I will ask him how it works.

Fangar

cmartinohio

I was wondering if anyone knew of a website(s) that had a listing of powder coaters in the U.S. I am looking to relocate, and have been in the powder coating field for 6-7 years, and would like to stay in this field. Thank you for any info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom