Hey friends -

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi everybody, first post and glad to be here. Since I began looking into projects combining resin and wood about a year ago I still have not found any kind of forum that's resin specific. I'm aware of most the web's wood forums, but if there happens to be a lesser known resin-centric forum out there please let me know. Best I can tell penturners would probably have the most experience with resin, so here I am. Thanks for having me.

I have my first lathe one the way, a Delta 46-460 with extension and I can not wait for it to get here. Although eventually I'll try my hand at penturning for now I'm putting my energy toward developing a new product display idea, and hopefully some extra income. I'm practicing my casting skills and am leading up to casting say the equivalent of a 1/2 gal milk jug size object into an upright resin mold 4" wider in each dimension (I have a spare refrigerator to help keep cure temps down as well as a vacuum chamber to degass prior to pouring. Have a 2.5 gal pressure pot as well but unfortunately it's not large enough to hold the forms). Lastly, I'll be mounting it on the lathe and turning down just until round. Final dimensions would be something like 8-9" dia. and ~13" tall.

What advantages / disadvantages would there be in making a casting like this using a polyurethane resin vs. a polyester? Say Alumilite Clear Slow vs a PE.

I've read that although polyester will smell and is brittle or could easily scratch, that it has good turning properties and buffs to a nice bright finish. I would be applying 4 coats of ceramic finish from Black Forest so the scratch issue may be moot. Can't quite remember but have I read somewhere that polyester resin may also be prone to shrinkage and separation?

Last edited:

JohnU

The problem with PR is it's not as durable as urethane resin. I've never tried to turn anything that large out of PR but from my experience on smaller projects, I would stick to a version of alumilite - Clear or clear slow. It would be less likely to shatter or chip out not only during turning but afterwards with handling.

Don Rabchenuk

I have poured large volumes of Alumilite Clear Slow and have not had any problems. Your open times will be diminished because with that volume of resin the temperature will increase faster than a small pour. I didn't have a need for added cooling of epoxy resin.

Attachments

• thumbnail (5).jpg
    thumbnail (5).jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 78
  • thumbnail (12).jpg
    thumbnail (12).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom