Hexagonal Vertexes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PersonMakeObject

I put some hexagonal Ebony bodies on Vertex Pencil, Rollerball, and Fountain kits.
Very little turning on these, just the chamfers at the ends of the bodies. I made a little jig to cut the hexagon using a cabinet scraper.' I've been doing hexagons a while on the knives I've been making but this is the first time I did it on a tube. Should have looked here first as I see now others have done it and shared and my learning curve may have been flattened.

If you're on Instagram, I highlighted the process in a story.

IMG_20210516_140324_297.jpg

IMG_20210513_135144_880.jpg
IMG_20210516_131602_739.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

I share your liking for and efforts,you chose the tough timber route so well. My friend in France Pierre does them using hand tools even making spiral hexes,how exciting to see your beaut work.

Peter.

I share your liking for and efforts,you chose the tough timber route so well. My friend in France Pierre does them using hand tools even making spiral hexes,how exciting to see your beaut work.

Peter.
Thank you Peter! I don't know why I didn't research here before I went down the rabbit hole of faceting, I could have saved myself a lot of time and materials. I came across Pierre and Don's works as well as Cullen's facet and spiraling jig just yesterday. It's interesting that I got to similar ends through quite different tools and techniques. Shows that there a many ways of problem solving and work and all have validity. For me, making is as much about the process as it is about the end result. I'm looking forward to experimenting with "Cullen's widget" (tm)? and I need to dig deeper into Don and Pierre's work too! Thanks all for sharing!!

its_virgil

Thank you Peter! I don't know why I didn't research here before I went down the rabbit hole of faceting, I could have saved myself a lot of time and materials. I came across Pierre and Don's works as well as Cullen's facet and spiraling jig just yesterday. It's interesting that I got to similar ends through quite different tools and techniques. Shows that there a many ways of problem solving and work and all have validity. For me, making is as much about the process as it is about the end result. I'm looking forward to experimenting with "Cullen's widget" (tm)? and I need to dig deeper into Don and Pierre's work too! Thanks all for sharing!!
It is interesting to see how others do some of the same things. I would have never thought of using a cabinet scraper to make the flat sides of this pen. Very clever and and creative. The hexagon barrel is perfect for the vertex pen. I only make them that way now. Here is a link to the article by Pierre and me which is here in the library. Enjoy and thanks for sharing your creativity.

Edit to add link: https://www.penturners.org/resources/hexagonal-pen-barrels.376/download

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:
Top Bottom