Hex Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Valleyboy

Valleyboy

I finally bought a (very small) milling machine last week and had some time to play with it on the weekend.
I've got a few ideas about what I'd like to use it for but the first was to make a faceted pen. The first attempt was a little off as I had mis-calculated the blank diameter I needed, but the second effort came out as well as I could have hoped.

This is a 6 sided pen and I used a hex collet block in a vice to achieve the effect. The hardest bit was getting things lined up on the mill with my limited tools. I plan to acquire a dial indicator and a couple of other bits to make this easier in future. I will also tweak my finishing technique so the edges are a little more defined next time.

Anyway here is the pen. The diameters are (flat to flat) are:
barrel - 14.2mm
cap - 15.6mm.

The threads are triple lead 13mm and has a Bock no 6 nib. I use 10x0.75 threads for the section.

This pen is prepared for a pocket clip but I am certain whether I'm going to add it yet or not.

Cheers
Ash

ECCE6E51-F753-43EB-A979-3FB4B7F6C051.jpeg886F4886-6A83-4261-8B14-BC387748B874.jpeg692C41D2-B44C-4931-83A6-5D8A10C629F0.jpeg74B23779-7DB5-4DF7-AFB3-5E0BD8EBAC46.jpegF6B553F5-2885-4181-8E06-734F96FC4E89.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

For a premiere attempt this is great. I like the whole package of the pen even the edges of the hex.
I especially appreciate that you were able to match the hex cap and body when assembled.
Definitely should install the pocket clip.

Great first (even though it is the second one) effort.

Valleyboy

Very nice, Ash!

ps ... I vote for adding the clip 👍
Thanks Duncan. I think I will add the clip - I realised I am going to have to eyeball it so it lines up centrally on one of the flat sides. Sounds easy enough but I'm sure I will find a way to screw it up 😊

Valleyboy

For a premiere attempt this is great. I like the whole package of the pen even the edges of the hex.
I especially appreciate that you were able to match the hex cap and body when assembled.
Definitely should install the pocket clip.

Great first (even though it is the second one) effort.
Thank you. I did spend a little time lining up the facets. It's a case of trial and error 😊.

JamesC

I finally bought a (very small) milling machine last week and had some time to play with it on the weekend.
I've got a few ideas about what I'd like to use it for but the first was to make a faceted pen. The first attempt was a little off as I had mis-calculated the blank diameter I needed, but the second effort came out as well as I could have hoped.

This is a 6 sided pen and I used a hex collet block in a vice to achieve the effect. The hardest bit was getting things lined up on the mill with my limited tools. I plan to acquire a dial indicator and a couple of other bits to make this easier in future. I will also tweak my finishing technique so the edges are a little more defined next time.

Anyway here is the pen. The diameters are (flat to flat) are:
barrel - 14.2mm
cap - 15.6mm.

The threads are triple lead 13mm and has a Bock no 6 nib. I use 10x0.75 threads for the section.

This pen is prepared for a pocket clip but I am certain whether I'm going to add it yet or not.

Cheers
Ash

View attachment 337478View attachment 337479View attachment 337480View attachment 337481View attachment 337482
My vote is no clip. The shape is going to be easy to roll around in you fingers and the clip would interfere ? With the triple thread do the flats line up from all positions? Very very cool.
Jim

Valleyboy

My vote is no clip. The shape is going to be easy to roll around in you fingers and the clip would interfere ? With the triple thread do the flats line up from all positions? Very very cool.
Jim
Thanks James. Yes you're correct, the reason for using a hex (or any multiple of 3) is it always lines up. It's very satisfying.
I was then thinking about if you had to line up a shape AND a pattern like a stripe or something. That will take a little bit of thinking about.

Top Bottom