Here's my birdhouses

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Everyone's having so much fun with mini birdhouses this year that I had to give it a try too.

I made these 4 for my granddaughter: L-R: Bolivian Rosewood with an Osage Orange cap; Red Gum with a Buckeye Cap; old Cedar Post (probably Western Red Cedar) with an ERC cap; and Spalted Pecan with an ERC cap.

Thanks to Mark James for the inspiration & hints. These were fun.

Edgar

Attachments

• 4ForKayden2014.jpg
    4ForKayden2014.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 226
  • BolivianRW-OsageOrange.jpg
    BolivianRW-OsageOrange.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 181
  • RedGum_Buckeye2014.jpg
    RedGum_Buckeye2014.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 181
  • CedarPost-ERC.jpg
    CedarPost-ERC.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 175
  • SpPecan-ERC.jpg
    SpPecan-ERC.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 183
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Those look great Edgar! Your Grandaughter will love them.

Approximately how big are they? I especially like the birds - they are a great size. The ones (birds) I've found are too big for most of my ornaments.

HAVE FUN!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks guys - these were fun to make.

The bodies of these houses are all right at 2.5" except the spalted pecan which is about 3". The caps are all 2.5 to 2.75" tall. I didn't start out trying to make them that size - it's just what seemed to look right to me. I left the spalted pecan a little longer because it had a natural edge bottom that I liked & I wanted the spalt lines to wind up about where they did.

The only decent wood that I had on hand for these projects were from my bottle stopper stock which was mostly 1.5" square stuff, so I was a little limited in my house styles. I had a few pieces of 2" stuff that I used for the caps. Next year I'll cut more wood a little larger for these kind of projects.

I got the birds at Hobby Lobby. They are in the dollhouse & miniatures section of the store. If there's not a store nearby, you can order them on line. Here's the links -- I bought one pkg of each kind.

Mayberry Street Miniature Birds | Shop Hobby Lobby

Mayberry Street Miniature Mushroom Birds | Shop Hobby Lobby

Mayberry Street Miniature Cardinals | Shop Hobby Lobby

Mayberry Street Miniature Doves | Shop Hobby Lobby

RCMattingly

Birdhouse ornaments

Beautiful houses Edgar. Here is a photo of my first attempt a few years ago. My wife's new kitten just had to climb the tree and check for birds. One of these days I will get through with doll cradles and get back to turning.

Criss

View in Gallery

Old Codger

Great looking little birdhouses Edgar! Nice variety of woods and designs also... I thought I warned everyone that they are addictive a few weeks ago... ;>) Always a fun time spent turning to see what you can come up with...often very surprising and very attractive! Thanks for the info on sources for the little birdies, I've looked for them locally and couldn't find them sooo I'll try your sources! Thanks! Safe turning to you and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Top Bottom