Here kitty, kitty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from H2O

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

i am guessing that maybe this was a CNC project. What is the ultimate purpose for these? Looks like the cutout is very detailed and nicely machined.

Care to fill us in?

H2O

i am guessing that maybe this was a CNC project. What is the ultimate purpose for these? Looks like the cutout is very detailed and nicely machined.

Care to fill us in?

You are correct, it is cnc. The only purpose is decoration for this one; it will get a black color fill to help it stand out better. For perspective, it's 5x7 and 1/4" thick. This is a new material I was testing and it holds detail and edges very well, but it's pretty pricey. Along the same lines as Corian, but machines a little better; it's not as powdery.

Eventually, I would like to adorn pens with images similar to this, but I'm a little way from doing that. Time restraints is one of the big obstacles.

I hope to have a future project using this material, and pen makers around the world could potentially take advantage of it.

H2O

Nicely done. Is it on PVC sheet?

Thanks. It's an acrylic material, very similar to Corian, but cuts shavings instead of dust like Corian. IMO, it gives better detail and sharper edges, especially in the tight areas.

would look good on clear plexiglass with colored leds at the edge (top or bottom)

I want to do edge lit, but the plastic is a little expensive. I don't have a local distributor and from reading, cast is preferred over extruded. It doesn't melt as easily? I believe the best is the polycarbonate, but that is really expensive. Based off of the internet sources, the prices are decent, but they hit you hard for shipping.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Will it polish on its own or do you have to use a CA or other type of finish, or does it have a polished surface the way it comes? Does it come in other colors or just white.

Akula

Nicely done. Is it on PVC sheet?

Thanks. It's an acrylic material, very similar to Corian, but cuts shavings instead of dust like Corian. IMO, it gives better detail and sharper edges, especially in the tight areas.

would look good on clear plexiglass with colored leds at the edge (top or bottom)

I want to do edge lit, but the plastic is a little expensive. I don't have a local distributor and from reading, cast is preferred over extruded. It doesn't melt as easily? I believe the best is the polycarbonate, but that is really expensive. Based off of the internet sources, the prices are decent, but they hit you hard for shipping.

I'm lucky...got a Brother-in-Law that is a Union Glass Installer...they have all the media (glass, pelxi, poly ect) and I can have any/all the cutoffs I want. I buy the long led strips off ebay.

Might be worth a call to see if you have something like that local..work out a deal for their scraps

H2O

It comes with a satin finish, but could be polished to a gloss finish. I think I prefer the satin finish since it doesn't glare. I have polished Corian and it has a glare and draws attention away from the image.
I haven't checked to see if it is available in other colors yet, but I hope it is for some other ideas I have. The white is versatile, because it can be color filled any color without a light basecoat to prevent the color fill from darkening. The face can also be painted and then cut the image to get a different effect.
It is easily cleaned with dish soap and warm water.
I'm sure this isn't a new product, it's just new to me.

H2O

I'm lucky...got a Brother-in-Law that is a Union Glass Installer...they have all the media (glass, pelxi, poly ect) and I can have any/all the cutoffs I want. I buy the long led strips off ebay.

Might be worth a call to see if you have something like that local..work out a deal for their scraps

That is a great set up and a nice BIL.

I'll check around and see if anything is available in this area. Thanks.

H2O

If you were able to cut 3d images you could possibly make lithopanes with that material.

The machines are fully capable of 3D but, the time it takes for a lithophane is much more than I have for lunch. I can't interfere with production.

IMO, the time it takes to make one, isn't worth the end result. To get a clean image, without the lines, takes several hours and even a couple of days depending on the resolution and size.
There are other techniques that give similar results in much less time and without expensive equipment.
There are some people 3D printing lithos.

ohiococonut

If you were able to cut 3d images you could possibly make lithopanes with that material.

The machines are fully capable of 3D but, the time it takes for a lithophane is much more than I have for lunch. I can't interfere with production.

IMO, the time it takes to make one, isn't worth the end result. To get a clean image, without the lines, takes several hours and even a couple of days depending on the resolution and size.
There are other techniques that give similar results in much less time and without expensive equipment.
There are some people 3D printing lithos.

Aaaahhh, I understand. I thought you had a cnc machine. So they allow you to use the machine on your lunch break? That's good.

I know how long it takes to design and cut lithos, I've got two cnc wood routers in my shop. I'm in the process of setting up a 4th axis on one of them.

Keep up the good work!

Top Bottom