Here is how it turned out!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings all,

Yesterday I had a very disappointing blowout on a nice piece of Black and White Ebony from Laos. It was supposed to be a Jr. Gent pen I was making with my very first custom finial. After the blowout I gave up for the night and started afresh this morning, with a much easier to turn piece of wood - Bethlehem Olive Wood.

It is the first pen I have turned for a couple of months and I found it amazing at how easy it is to forget stuff. For example, After my first coat of CA I realized I had I forgot to square the blank with the tube before I turning it. Fortunately my blank cutting jig is nice and square as is my drilling jig, so even after squaring it out of sequence it still had a good fit.

Thanks to everyone that commented in my other thread about ways to turn the custom finial. After reading them, I abandoned the way I was planning on doing it and epoxied it to a 3/4-inch piece of square dowel when I was gluing the tubes in. First I tried mounting it to a bottle stopper chuck, but the Poplar dowel was just too soft to hold a solid thread for turning, so I chucked it up in my blank drilling jaws to turn it. It stands a little more proud of the cap than I would like, but since I had no experience I wanted to make sure I didn't part it off too short either. The finish is not quite as smooth as the rest of the pen, but as careful as I was by using only the last 4 Micromesh pads I still sanded through on the radius. After the redo I was a little too cautious and didn't Micromesh quite enough. Still, I don't think it is too bad for my maiden go. Experience is a great teacher so I'm sure the next one will be better.

Here it is - Dave

IMG_2208 Cropped.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2198 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_2198 Cropped.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2199 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_2199 Cropped.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2203 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_2203 Cropped.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2204 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_2204 Cropped.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2205 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_2205 Cropped.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2206 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_2206 Cropped.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2207 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_2207 Cropped.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2209 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_2209 Cropped.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 128
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TDahl

The pen turned out nice. I have found pen making is a very perishable skill. It is always good to try and get back in the shop at least every few weeks.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Splendid finial. It looks extremely well done. Not sure of your specific steps, but I sand and do all the prep work before I part it off. Then I apply a finish before I glue it in.

I suspect more of these are in your future - a very appealing element. 👏 👏 👏

Top Bottom