HempWood Gatsby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KateHarrow

KateHarrow

We've been working really hard to improve our HempWood stabilizing at our shop (Bullseye Turning Supply) and this is the first turned sample of that effort. I'm thrilled with the result. The video shows the blank fresh off the carbide with no sanding - shop dog approved. Paired with a chrome gatsby (or banker from Turners Warehouse, which is where this came from).

I'll be publishing a YouTube video soon on turning tricks for HempWood to help those who have struggled with this material

Attachments

• 83618E8E-6243-466C-BF0A-F551564CB101.jpeg
    83618E8E-6243-466C-BF0A-F551564CB101.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 166
  • DE06D0AD-F270-4B77-9FAB-2CC8B7E58294.jpeg
    DE06D0AD-F270-4B77-9FAB-2CC8B7E58294.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 91433B8F-856A-435C-872E-FA473B1B77B0.jpeg
    91433B8F-856A-435C-872E-FA473B1B77B0.jpeg
    501.4 KB · Views: 171
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    43.9 MB
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Very nice!! That is one heck of a blank, wow. And that all-chrome Gatsby, perfection! (BTW, where did you find that all chrome kit? I've found some chrome and satin chrome, but never an all chrome. Love that.)

KateHarrow

Very nice!! That is one heck of a blank, wow. And that all-chrome Gatsby, perfection! (BTW, where did you find that all chrome kit? I've found some chrome and satin chrome, but never an all chrome. Love that.)
Thanks!! Turners warehouse has the best selection for this kit hands down but calls it the Banker

qquake

That looks great! I've had a lot of failures with hempwood, but only a couple of successes. I'm glad you're working on it. Oh, and I can't get the video to open, for some reason.

Attachments

• 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 109
  • 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 108

KateHarrow

That looks great! I've had a lot of failures with hempwood, but only a couple of successes. I'm glad you're working on it. Oh, and I can't get the video to open, for some reason.
That's the exact reason I needed to keep working on it. Lots of credit to the team at HempWood as well. I'm bothering them night and day over it lol. But I think we got it!

And I just commented the video link above. Not sure why it wouldn't upload correctly

jrista

Here's a Link to the video of the turned blank since it won't upload right on the forum
That looks awesome. I've actually looked at these in the past, but at the time it looked like only the pinkish/purplish colors were in stock, and I have a bunch of pinkish/purplish burl blanks already. Was hoping for more green, blue, yellow, etc.

Any idea when your new stabilization process will be in production? I really like the look of these. They look somewhat like those "pebble" type acrylic blanks, but...with a natural substance.

KateHarrow

That looks awesome. I've actually looked at these in the past, but at the time it looked like only the pinkish/purplish colors were in stock, and I have a bunch of pinkish/purplish burl blanks already. Was hoping for more green, blue, yellow, etc.

Any idea when your new stabilization process will be in production? I really like the look of these. They look somewhat like those "pebble" type acrylic blanks, but...with a natural substance.
I'm just working on stocking up now. I have 200 of the old style blanks in stock so I need to clear them out and work on building up inventory of the new ones. I have them listed on the website now - they're the 6" and chunky pen blanks in the listings.

jrista

I'm just working on stocking up now. I have 200 of the old style blanks in stock so I need to clear them out and work on building up inventory of the new ones. I have them listed on the website now - they're the 6" and chunky pen blanks in the listings.
Hi Kate,

Been trying to visit your site, but I keep getting the following...not sure if it is on your end, or ours, but I thought I would let you know:

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 3.18.05 PM.png

sorcerertd

Wow. Just wow. That is a beautiful pen! That blank almost looks like abalone at first glance. I'm sure it doesn't have the same chatoyance, but the color and patterns in it are fantastic.

KateHarrow

Wow. Just wow. That is a beautiful pen! That blank almost looks like abalone at first glance. I'm sure it doesn't have the same chatoyance, but the color and patterns in it are fantastic.
It has a little bit of that shimmer to it but nowhere near what abalone has. Like a poor man's abalone lmao

Top Bottom