HELP!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dankc908

dankc908

I turned an acrylic bottle stopper and about half way into it I got a "tool jam" so bad it took out about a 1/4" gouge and stopped the lathe. That really got the stopper screwed on the mandrel extra tight. I finished and polished the stopper so now I can't get it screwed off the mandrel. In hind-sight I should have loosed it then with a vice grip or ??, and cut out the scratches at that time before finishing it off. Now I probably will crack or scratch it so badly that I can not use it.

I was thinking of dipping the acrylic in very hot water and trying it that way, but I may distort the acrylic and make it soft.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kenspens

hey dan an you wrap cloth around it and use a strap wrench to try to remove it
that has worked for me before when i had some tight objects and i didnt want to hurt the finish the strap wrench will distribute the toque all the way around the material!
hope it helps
ken brown
kens exotic pen artistry

kevrob

FWIW - I have kind of done what Ken and Robert suggested - just together - I have used the rubber on the strap wrench to protect the bottle stopper while using vice grips.

dgerwin11

If you can remove the mandrel from the head stock, try sticking it in the freezer. If the metal shrinks more than the acrylic it should loosen up.

PenMan1

Take an old computer mouse pad (the kind that has the non-slip rubber back) and cut a piece of it that will wrap twice around the diameter of the stopper. Then use vice grips over the mouse pad to hold it firmly. Use an open end wrench or crescent wrench to unscrew the bottle stopper mandrel. DAMHIKT:)

StephenM

jackson-sledge-hammer.jpg

But that's just the kind of day I've had.

renowb

Super glue your hand to it and turn!:) Just kidding...There is a mesh looking rubber material that I use, works really well. I believe it used as a holder for material when you router something. Also jar lid openers work well.

Drstrangefart

I use a strip of leather I got out of a bag. Run it around the outside and clamp at the pinch point. It's also how I hold finished pens while popping parts off with the transfer punch.

Charlie_W

I use a length of romex electrical cable as a strap wrench. Wrap the romex around the stopper and clamp the two ends of the romex with vise grips. If needed, strap the mandrel or drill chuck as well.

Charlie W

Drstrangefart

I use a length of romex electrical cable as a strap wrench. Wrap the romex around the stopper and clamp the two ends of the romex with vise grips. If needed, strap the mandrel or drill chuck as well.

Charlie W

SAME thing I do, only I use a chunk of leather about as wide as a belt. Cost me about a buck.

Top Bottom