Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBusardo

I think seen this posted before, but I can't find the post. Is there a way to keep a Morse taper drill chuck from coming out of my lathe if I am not using a tail stock center?
Thanks
Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Assuming that you have the drill chuck in the headstock, if your headstock has a straight-through hole, get a properly threaded and length bolt to use as a draw bar. Alternately, you can use a piece of properly threaded rod plus a washer and wing nut to accomplish the same thing.

Rifleman1776

If it is a Morse taper fit, first make sure the taper and the receiving hole are clean. Then insert and open the jaws fully so they are recessed. Then, using a non-marring hammer or hunk of scrap wood, whack the chuck in so it sets well into the tailstock.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
From my perspective, do not "whack" anything to get it to stick into the headstock where the tailstock is not supported. At 3900 RPM and 1/2 hp, that can create a fairly dangerous three-pound flying object.

beamer

Agree with lou. My opinion is that a drawbar is the ONLY safe way to use any MT accessory unless it's secured with a collet nut on the outer spindle threads. (like a collet chuck for 1x8 spindles, for example)

GBusardo

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />If it is a Morse taper fit, first make sure the taper and the receiving hole are clean. Then insert and open the jaws fully so they are recessed. Then, using a non-marring hammer or hunk of scrap wood, whack the chuck in so it sets well into the tailstock.

Tried that Frank [:(] I also tried to push the chuck into the taper with a block of wood and using the tail stock and cranking the wheel. I was kinda surprised it didn't work. i am guessing i will try and go to the Ace up the block and see what they have.
Thanks to all for your replies

Russb

Hope this helps.....
2006122822532_drawbar.jpg

rgundersen

Not going to claim to be a machinist or an expert on this but, looking at my drill press, it goes to 4000 rpm is 1hp and the chuck is only held in place with a morse taper.

Seems like as long as the chuck and lathe have the same taper "whacking it in place" should hold without issue.

That being said it never hurts to error on the side of caution.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If the chuck drops from your drill press, it drops onto the table or your work. If it shoots out the end of your headstock, where will it go? Since I don't know, I use a draw bar.

pssherman

Originally posted by rgundersen
<br />Not going to claim to be a machinist or an expert on this but, looking at my drill press, it goes to 4000 rpm is 1hp and the chuck is only held in place with a morse taper.

Seems like as long as the chuck and lathe have the same taper "whacking it in place" should hold without issue.

That being said it never hurts to error on the side of caution.
Take a close look at the taper on your drill press. I believe you will see that there is a tang on the end of the taper that fits into a corresponding slot in the quill. The torque is transferred from the quill to the chuck through this tang and not from the tapered surface. Thus, the taper only has to hold the weight of the chuck and should not slip off easily. Wood lathes have morse tapers without the tang. So, they must provide the friction necessary to transfer the torque from the lathe spindle to the tooling with the taper. If too much torque is required, the taper will slip. With an active force pushing the taper into the spindle, the maximum allowable torque is greater and if slip does occur the taper will 'catch' again without coming out. Without the active force, a slipping taper WILL slide out of the spindle since there is nothing to restrain it or push it back. A drawbar or the tailstock can provide the necessary restraining force.

Hope this explains things somewhat.

Paul in AR

Russb

Check to see if your Jacobs chuck (drill chuck) is threaded at the morse taper end. If it is take it to the local hardware store purchase a length of threaded rod, an appropriate nut or knob and perhaps a washer. Back home insert the chuck in the tailstock, thread in the rod and cut it to the length where the knob or nut will hold it in securely.

its_virgil

Mine spun around the lathe bed, crawled up my arm, danced on my head and ended up in the drawer where is came from. How did it know which drawer I kept it in?
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />If the chuck drops from your drill press, it drops onto the table or your work. If it shoots out the end of your headstock, where will it go?

jwoodwright

Don, that would make you a very organized person, you always put stuff away, therefore it was used to that and merely complied.

I know you're logical and organized because you taught math all those decades! LOL

its_virgil

John,
I wish that were the case. I spend way too much time looking for a tool or something that I just used 10 minutes ago. Now, where did I put that mouse...

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Don, that would make you a very organized person

GBusardo

My #2 taper does have a thread and it fits a 1/4 inch bolt I have. All I need to do is find a 1/4 x 7 or so rod with nut or bolt and a washer to fit. What amazed me is I could find no reference to this in a book I got from the library.
Thanks again to all for your replies. [:)]

GBusardo

My #2 taper does have a thread and it fits a 1/4 inch bolt I have. All I need to do is find a 1/4 x 7 or so rod with nut or bolt and a washer to fit. What amazed me is I could find no reference to this in a book I got from the library.
Thanks again to all for your replies. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom