HELP!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

One of our 10" Jet midi lathes at the blind center has had a failure of the locking mechanism for the tail stock. The nut on the bottom that holds the locking washer has stripped the threads on the bolt and now I can't lock down the tail stock. I've jury rigged a small c clamp on the ways to temporarily hold it for mandrel work, since that doesn't need much tailstock pressure...just enough to keep the live center turning. I can't get the nut to screw off either, and I can't see any way to remove the bolt from the tailstock.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Sharon; What model is the lathe?? 10x14?

It will probably be necessary to use a dremel or similar cut-off wheel to split the nut and get it off. Cut the Nut in line with the bolt. Don't cut all the way thru, but just until there is a little bit of nut left. They make "Nut Splitter" (no joke). It is a collar that goes around the nut and has a chisel. You might be able to find one at an auto shop. Maybe you can borrow one.

The bolt and nut will likely have to be replaced. Check out this replacement parts page.

The Clamp ring that tightens down the tail stock is a ring and "creeps" (moves) under strong pressure. Many moons ago someone here on IAP made a stronger clamp part that is square and has a much larger clamping surface. I made one the same size as the tail stock base for my 10x14. Alas the lathe is not with me any longer.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Sharon,
There probably is a plate on the end of the lathe bed that when removed, you can slide the tail stock off the lathe. Then, cutting and splitting the nut will be easier. Possibly you can cut the nut with a hacksaw to remove it. My Rikon just has a straight bolt and you can replace the bolt and nut from a hardware store.
Providing you can get the tail stock off.

Attachments

• bolt copy.jpg
    bolt copy.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 113

jttheclockman

Hello Sharon.

Your talistock should slide right off there is no stop plate on those.

Take it off and easier to work on. Now I am having a brain let down so someone can jump in here and use the right terminology for the split ring or circle clip that holds the lock down lever to the tailstock. You will see it on the opposite side. There are 2 small holes in the clip and a special needlenose pliers is usually used to take these off. If you do not have access to one you may have to jury rig something like a couple brad nails and use need nose pliers to squeeze them. This will release that handle that has a bolt that goes all the way through. The nut and bolt should fall out now and you need to duplicate this and put back together the same way. That is what locks the tailstock to the rails. You can not just replace the nut because the threads of the bolt are probably messed up and you can not just cut it because there is no way to get it out without doing what I am saying. Or that is the way I see it. Good luck.

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
There is a snap ring on the end of the eccentric locking rod(part# JML-58). Use snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring, and pull the eccentric locking rod out, and the bolt (part# JML-64) will drop out. If you want to reuse the clamp(part# JML-44), cut the bolt in half. Or you can replace the bolt, clamp, and clamp nut(part# JML-81), and have a new assembly. At minimum, the bolt will need replaced, as it isn't a standard bolt. It's more of a shoulder bolt with a hole for the eccentric locking rod to fit through.

Terredax

Banned
I just checked, and all three parts would cost $29.18 shipped to my zip.
And looks to be the same for Arizona.

Last edited:

sbwertz

I have the snap ring pliers, and Randy sent me a link to the parts explosion so I see how to remove the bolt. He is going to send me a beefed up part to replace it with. Thank you all so much for your help. These were donated lathes, so I don't have any manuals or anything with them.

Top Bottom