help with snake skins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dorno

i am wondering if someone out there can help me with some information regarding casting some snake skins ? I managed to bring a couple of small pieces of skin back from holidays that had been through the whole process and were in fact ready to be used to make wallets and handbags but i would like to have a go at putting some into use as pen blanks. I am interested in what sort of glue to use and also any other tips.
A friend of mine has tried casting similar skins and has had alot of trouble with air bubbles coming up from what looks like under the skin or somewhere else.

i look forward to any help that you can offer

king regards Ian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I can tell you what I do but I'm by far not an expert. I still have problems but I do feel I'm getting closer to getting a decent system down. I think most use ca glue to glue the skins to the tubes and there are vid. on you tube that show you how they do it. I use white glue, elmers, to glue mine because I like and need the time to get the skin the way I like it. Also if something goes wrong you can soak it in acetone and save the skin because the acetone doesn't effect the white glue. You will want to paint the tubes before glueing the skins to keep the brass from showing through. When the skin is dried and ready I coat the skin with med ca to seal the skin. Be sure to let the paint and ca cure for a few days or that will cause more problems refered to as out gassing. When all is done I like to take a brush and knock the gloss off the skin then cast. Remember I said this isn't perfect but it's what I do and I do get some good results. If you find out a better way be sure to let us know. Good Luck.

its_virgil

This article is quite old. The process is how I once made snake skin blanks. I no longer use vacuum or pressure. I no longer need to weight down the tubes because I use a different mold type. Many of the techniques used in this artricle I still use. Gluing the skins is done the same. I now make sure the scale covers or flaps are removed. They are a great place for air to get trapped. Although I once did I no longer cover the skins with a coat of CA. I do use an ultrasonic cleaner with a heater and depending on the time of the year I heat the resin as the ultrasonic cleaner is doing its work. I have stopped using heat because the temps here in Texas are already hot. I need to totally revise my snake skin casting article to make it more up to date. I paint the tubes with flat green camo paint. I sometimes powder coat the tubes with flat black. Check out my "Bubble free Casting" in the library.
Do good turn daily!
Don

Dorno

Hi Everyone and thanks for your replys and tips on what could solve the problems that i am about to have:biggrin: i have attached a couple of photos of the types and Quality of snake skins that i will be attempting to cast soon and as you can see they are not your normal skin. These have been coloured and treated and now resemble a piece of leather so the Question I have are

the best type of glue to use nowdays
and how to get air bubble out of something like this ? i am sure they will form once I try to do this/

I have saved and read ALL tutorials i can find through the IAP or any other forum but have been hoping others can give more up to date info so I don't end up wasting the lovely skins.

Kind Regards ian

Attachments

• 1 Skin.jpg
    1 Skin.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 2a Skin.jpg
    2a Skin.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 3a Skin.jpg
    3a Skin.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 175

its_virgil

Be aware that colored skins (the coloring agent) may react with the resin. I have had several dyed skins turn the polyester resin so dark the skin was not even visible. Also some tanning chemicals (and I do not know which ones) can cause the polyester resin to turn dark. For that reason I stopped using skins if I did not process them myself or know how they were processed.

As for as air you just have to do all of the things that have been suggested to help eliminate air. So far I do not know a 100% cure for air and bubbles. What is working for me now may not work on my next sating session. Eliminating air bubbles is a constant battle.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

seamus7227

I agree with what Don has said as well! But I will say that I have attempted to cast the leathery snakeskins and like Don has said, they just don't work out as well when they are like that.

Top Bottom