Help with identifying wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JettLake

JettLake

I found this big, gnarly piece of driftwood in the Mississippi. It is about 30 in x 20 in. My plan is to clean it, sand the crap out of it and stain it. Not sure what kind of wood it is though. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Driftwood Sculpture 3.jpg
    Driftwood Sculpture 3.jpg
    731.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Driftwood Sculpture 1.jpg
    Driftwood Sculpture 1.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Driftwood Sculpture 2.jpg
    Driftwood Sculpture 2.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 180
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Looks awesome. Sorry I'm no help but depending on where you found it it only broadens the possibilities. The further south on the river only opens it up to a larger scale.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Lucky find! Use it wisely. That could be a very valuable piece of wood in the right situations, cut in the right way. Jealous here! I just got back from the MS River about 30 minutes ago looking for some good drift wood.

I found this big, gnarly piece of driftwood in the Mississippi. It is about 30 in x 20 in. My plan is to clean it, sand the crap out of it and stain it. Not sure what kind of wood it is though. Any help is appreciated.

You've answered your own question...it's drift wood. I sell a lot of "driftwood" pens in Hawaii. People don't care what species it is as long as you collected it from a beach and you can say from what beach...it's driftwood.

Top Bottom