Help with hollow vessel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

For thoes of you that make hollow forms I need some help. :confused:

I have been asked to make a urn for a pets ashes. I figured out I would need space for approx. 4 cups of ashes. How do I figure out how big a urn to made? I have a piece of spalted sycamore that is approx. 5" high and 3" wide would this be big enough? Thanks William

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

For thoes of you that make hollow forms I need some help. :confused:

I have been asked to make a urn for a pets ashes. I figured out I would need space for approx. 4 cups of ashes. How do I figure out how big a urn to made? I have a piece of spalted sycamore that is approx. 5" high and 3" wide would this be big enough? Thanks William

Some info that may help.

Pet Urn Sizes | A Guide to Selecting a Pet Urn Size Correctly

Alot of good videos here too.

how to hand turn a pet urn - Bing

If you figure the inside volume of the urn, according to all I've read on making urns, 1 cubic inch of ashes equates about 1 pound of weight of the animal.

Consider the urn as a cylinder .. the formula is: cylinder = b h = pi r 2 h
cylinder.gif

b = radius and h = height.

or based on your wood size of 5 x 3 dia... allowing 1/2" for the wall and 4.5" for the height inside... would be roughly 14.143 cubic inches of volume or 14 lbs for the animal.

Last edited:

Curly

Take your tape measure and go into that unfamiliar place in your house. The kitchen! You will have some measuring cups you can size. Our 4 cup is about 4" deep and about 4.5" across.

Cwalker935

I do not think it will work. 4 cups equates to 57.75 cubic inches, assuming you leave 1/2 inch for the bottom you would have a height of 4.5 inches. Dividing 57.75 by 4.5 gives you an area of 12.83 square inches. Using the formula for the area of a circle pi times r squared gives you an average radius of a little over 2 inches or an average diameter of 4.04 inches.

triw51

If you figure the inside volume of the urn, according to all I've read on making urns, 1 cubic inch of ashes equates about 1 pound of weight of the animal.

Consider the urn as a cylinder .. the formula is: cylinder = b h = pi r 2 h
cylinder.gif

b = radius and h = height.

or based on your wood size of 5 x 3 dia... allowing 1/2" for the wall and 4.5" for the height inside... would be roughly 14.143 cubic inches of volume or 14 lbs for the animal.

I had talked with a vet and he told me 1 cubic inch of ash for every pound the Dog weighed 50 pounds so the volume came out to approx. 3.5 cups. So I will need a bigger piece of wood. Thanks William

Top Bottom