Help with banjo for delta 46-450

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

The banjo on my delta broke this morning while I was turning a piece of mulberry. It split length wise see picture attached. Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas why? The lathe was used when I purchased it with a local high school being the first owner then two other wood turners before me.
Any way I need to replace the piece and found this on e-bay Vintage Delta Milwaukee Rockwell 1460 Wood Lathe Banjo CBL 433 1" Post 12" | eBay?

Do any of you more experienced tool gurus know if this will properly fit my lathe? Do you have any other suggestions? I tried one place online and their price for just frame is $143 plus shipping. The one on e-bay is complete.

Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks William

Attachments

• banjo1.jpg
    banjo1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 778

randyrls

William; Check with a local welding shop. Cast Iron is difficult to weld, but it IS possible. From the look of the photo, the banjo is completely broken in half.

triw51

William; Check with a local welding shop. Cast Iron is difficult to weld, but it IS possible. From the look of the photo, the banjo is completely broken in half.

I took it to a welder and he said he could do it but would not guarantee how well it would hold up. He suggested I get a new one but was willing to weld it if I wanted it done.

Top Bottom