help with another project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherjunkie

What size of drill bit would you use for the top of a salt / pepper shaker(the end that you would shake the salt/pepper out of). I want the shaker to be all wood except for the plug in the bottom.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There is a metal top available that fits about a one-inch hole (that's the way I have always done it-glue it in) and put rubber "stopper" over bottom of hole (also about an inch).

leatherjunkie

I have seen this metal top, I just dont want to use it. I have seen pictures of shakers without the metal top. To me it looks better being all wood.

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />There is a metal top available that fits about a one-inch hole (that's the way I have always done it-glue it in) and put rubber "stopper" over bottom of hole (also about an inch).

cozee

If you are concerned with having too large of a hole, a #53 bit will get you closer to 1.5mm than a 1/16 will. .0595 (#53) versus .0625 (1/16th).

woodwish

This sounds ambitious and could be very nice. Seems to me the depth of the holes is also a factor here. I think the amound of salt that comes through the same sized hole will decrease as the hole itself gets deep. Does that make sense? A wood top will obviously be thicker than a metal top so I would make the hole a little larger, but on the other hand you can always drill a little bigger when finished better than trying to make them smaller. Post some photos when finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom