Help with 3d printed blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcimm2000

I've printed several "Gisi" style molds using PLA on my printer. Problem is Alumilite Clear Slow does not seem to be bonding with the PLA filiment very well. Getting alot of blowouts when turning. Can't find much info on this by searching. I've seen some people use ABS filiment but not sure my printer will be able to handle the higher temps without a lot of upgrading. Zac Higgins has a video where he uses Liquid Diamonds with PLA. Does anyone here have any experience with this issue that can shed some light as to which direction I should go?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

IIRC, Alumilite Clear or Clear Slow (urethane resins) do not work with 3D printed molds. You will need an epoxy or a polyester resin with epoxy being the likely better choice. LD is an epoxy. Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast (an epoxy) will also likely work.

FGarbrecht

Interesting. I've done some casting with Alumilite Clear Slow using embedded PLA threads to produce a confetti-like appearance. No problems with turning, no blowouts, and the pens turned out pretty nice with a good smooth surface even in the places where the PLA threads are surface level, so I'm not sure why you are having difficulty. I suppose the difference may be that although I pack a lot of PLA threads into the blank, they are small and all completely surrounded by resin which lends stability overall. Wish I could help.

A Velez

What I did was just make a silicone clone of the 3D printed mold. No issues with any resin. Only draw back is that you need to cast twice, the mold and then fill the cavities with desire color resin.

DaveTas

I've printed several "Gisi" style molds using PLA on my printer. Problem is Alumilite Clear Slow does not seem to be bonding with the PLA filiment very well. Getting alot of blowouts when turning. Can't find much info on this by searching. I've seen some people use ABS filiment but not sure my printer will be able to handle the higher temps without a lot of upgrading. Zac Higgins has a video where he uses Liquid Diamonds with PLA. Does anyone here have any experience with this issue that can shed some light as to which direction I should go?
G'day jcimm2000,

Did you try epoxy or anything else?

Did you solve the problem?

I would like to buy a small 3D printer and am trying to decide between a filament or a resin printer.. 1st goal of course is a gisi chevron style blank.. All advise from everyone is welcome.

Dave

Top Bottom