HELP w/ Fountain pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

I am having issues with 3 Fountain pens. I made these 3 pens over the past year or so. I used the Manager kit from exoticblanks.com However none will write now. I have changed the ink cartridge and such. Not sure what my problem is on these. any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bstrauch

Have you tried removing the nib section/housing and soaking it in warm water? That will usually dissolve the old dried ink. Dry the nib and housing off and reassemble.

Madman1978

Have you tried removing the nib section/housing and soaking it in warm water? That will usually dissolve the old dried ink. Dry the nib and housing off and reassemble.
I haven't yet but that seems to be my next step. I wasn't sure I could do that.

Bstrauch

Below is a link that will walk you through the steps of removing and disassembling the nib unit. I would first try just removing the nib and feed - soak them for ~1/2 hour, replace with clean water and repeat until clear. Taking the nib out of the feed can be tricky and you could end up misaligning the tines, so i'd try to avoid it or practice on a nib you do not care about.

Nib removal

Bryguy

As a fountain pen enthusiast and restorer of antique fountain pens for over 20 years. I always tell purchasers that owning a fountain pen is like having a pet. Once inked they need to be used regularly. If they aren't to be used for awhile they should be emptied and thoroughly rinsed with water prior to storage. I also recommend against the use of cartridges suggest they stick to high end inks.
Of you find soaking in water doesn't work, try adding a teaspoon of ammonia to a cup of water and soak overnight. If that doesn't work an ultrasonoc cleaner with warm water will usually do the job.
All the above is true unless you have a nib tuning issue!

Top Bottom