Help some advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

Yesterday I started or tied to turn an icicle ornament. I ran into an issue with my chuck, more so the jaws. If push the blank in all the way I lose about an inch or more on one end because of the jaws. So, I went looking at Jaws for chucks! WHAT THE SNOT! lol

What I need is to find the right jaws? Or will I need a new chuck?

I am currently using the WEN LA4444 chuck since I have the WEN 3424T lathe. I like it a great deal.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

It's not necessary that the blank 'bottom out' in the jaws. In fact, in some instances that it actually undesirable - if you are trying to grip a tenon and hold the blank only with the jaws, then allowing the blank to bottom out actually reduces the strength of the grip.

It's not clear from your description exactly what you are trying to do. Assuming that you are attempting to turn a spindle, then my suggestion is to loosely grip the blank in the jaws, perhaps with the jaws holding about 1/4" of the blank. Bring the tailstock up to hold and center the other end of the blank, and then tighten down the jaws. Keep the tailstock in place as you turn 'between centers', and part off only after you have completed and sanded the entire spindle.

As to finding jaws: that can be a challenge, in large part because there is no standardization among chuck manufacturers. In general (there may be exceptions), you can only use jaws made by the manufacturer of your chuck. And unfortunately, Wen is not a major chuck manufacturer - until I saw your post, I wasn't even aware that Wen sold chucks. A check of the Wen web site suggests that they don't have a very wide selection of jaws to choose from.

And by the way, there is no requirement that the brand of chuck match the brand of lathe. The only requirement is that the chuck attach to the lathe.

ccccchunt

For making ornaments on your WEN chuck, which by the way comes with the wrong jaws for what you are doing... I would use the worm screw that comes with it. I would turn a wooden spacer (waste block) piece out of hardwood that would extend the actual ornament away from the chuck. Then you can shape and finish your ornament and turn a finial separately to finish it off. Just a suggestion.

Mr Vic

You don't have to insert the stock all the way in. Use a flat spacer for repeatability or glue on a waste block.

Madman1978

So what Jaws do I need? Worm Screw won't work for the blanks in this case. I am using some pen blanks.
For making ornaments on your WEN chuck, which by the way comes with the wrong jaws for what you are doing... I would use the worm screw that comes with it. I would turn a wooden spacer (waste block) piece out of hardwood that would extend the actual ornament away from the chuck. Then you can shape and finish your ornament and turn a finial separately to finish it off. Just a suggestion.

Jim Campbell

Yesterday I started or tied to turn an icicle ornament. I ran into an issue with my chuck, more so the jaws. If push the blank in all the way I lose about an inch or more on one end because of the jaws. So, I went looking at Jaws for chucks! WHAT THE SNOT! lol

What I need is to find the right jaws? Or will I need a new chuck?

I am currently using the WEN LA4444 chuck since I have the WEN 3424T lathe. I like it a great deal.
I do not see any additional jaws available for the chuck you have. I also do not see any information for compatibility with other chuck brands.

The chucl is a 1" x 8 TPI, which is a standard mount fora chuck. Many other chucks are out there with the same thread.

I'm a big Vicmarc fan, but not everyone wants to spend the money on a Vicmarc. One nice thing about the Vicmarc is the jaws are compatible with the Super Nova. It opens us up to more availability for jaws to do our work.

Here's a link for the Apprentice chuck, which has a pen jaw and project jaw. The ones that stick out. These are great for small projects like Icicle ornaments.

Jim

Mr Vic

If you have a local or close wood working store, take your chuck in and you may find jaws that will work.

Madman1978

I do not see any additional jaws available for the chuck you have. I also do not see any information for compatibility with other chuck brands.

The chucl is a 1" x 8 TPI, which is a standard mount fora chuck. Many other chucks are out there with the same thread.

I'm a big Vicmarc fan, but not everyone wants to spend the money on a Vicmarc. One nice thing about the Vicmarc is the jaws are compatible with the Super Nova. It opens us up to more availability for jaws to do our work.

Here's a link for the Apprentice chuck, which has a pen jaw and project jaw. The ones that stick out. These are great for small projects like Icicle ornaments.

Jim
TY!

I found one on Exoticblanks that should work. For now, I will have to just muddle along with what I have until I buy the one I am looking at.

Top Bottom