Help! Pen Making Class

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Racer3770

Hello!

My name is James Smith and I teach US History at the Dayton Regional STEM School in Kettering, Ohio. At the end of every school year, we host a 10 day immersive experience called "STEMmersion" where teachers have the opportunity to design a special new course to offer to students. Students choose from a large list of course offerings developed by the teachers. I've been making pens for over a decade now and I am offering a Pen Design course for 30 excited students towards the end of May.

A co-teacher and I bring in 5-10 lathes, teach a safety course, and get students hands-on experience with the equipment. During the 10 days, we will offer mini courses on resin casting, segmenting, polymer clay, 3D printed blanks, and more! Each student will create at least one ballpoint, rollerball, and fountain pen. Most make several more!

The project portion of the pen making course is brand new this year! We'll be joining forces with a local university to CAD and metal print some pen kit parts! I'm so excited for this.

I asked for donations for this program two years ago and the pen community came through in a BIG way. I was stunned and humbled by the generosity of total strangers that helped get this program off the ground. Dozens of you sent all kinds of pen blanks and kits in for my students to use and I am so thankful.

To date, 40 kids ages 11-18 have gone through the class and I know more than a handful of them asked their parents to purchase lathes so they could start making pens at home.

If you have any spare wood or acrylic pen blanks, I can guarantee they'll be put into the hands of a first-time turner. Students in the past have also enjoyed trying out new types of pen kits. If you have any of these things laying around in your shop, would you be willing to donate them to our class?

You can send them directly to the school at:

ATTN: James Smith
Dayton Regional STEM School
1724 Woodman Drive
Kettering, OH

Thank you so much. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me! I have attached some photos from the last two years.

James Smith

Attachments

• IMG_8947.jpg
    IMG_8947.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4561.jpg
    IMG_4561.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4574.jpg
    IMG_4574.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4659.jpg
    IMG_4659.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4707.jpg
    IMG_4707.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4712.jpg
    IMG_4712.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 86
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Racer3770

I'll be putting a box in the mail tomorrow.
Mark,

Thank you so SO much! Your donation saved me the first year we ran this course... We are still using the Rick Herrell sanding jigs and tool rests that I was able to purchase courtesy of your generosity. Really appreciate it!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark,

Thank you so SO much! Your donation saved me the first year we ran this course... We are still using the Rick Herrell sanding jigs and tool rests that I was able to purchase courtesy of your generosity. Really appreciate it!
This time I have bunch of kits (Sierra - Thank you band; 30+?) with bushings and about 100 blanks. Sand paper also. I'm cleaning out my shop and looking for good homes, so you may a few more boxes. If you decide (in the next few months) to do larger turnings, give me a PM, I am getting rid of all my larger turning blanks.

Racer3770

This time I have bunch of kits (Sierra - Thank you band; 30+?) with bushings and about 100 blanks. Sand paper also. I'm cleaning out my shop and looking for good homes, so you may a few more boxes. If you decide (in the next few months) to do larger turnings, give me a PM, I am getting rid of all my larger turning blanks.
Oh wow! That's awesome! I had one or two of the "thank you" kits donated last year and some kids turned them and handed them out to teachers here at school. That would be really cool!

My own knowledge of larger turning is limited... I'll keep you in mind. Thank you again!

Hippie3180

I don't have an excess of blanks or kits to share, would you be able to use a gift card to purchase some things you could use?

Racer3770

I don't have an excess of blanks or kits to share, would you be able to use a gift card to purchase some things you could use?
For sure. I've used these in the past to purchase sandpaper and polishing compounds. Would put it towards whatever you want to see the kids have.
That's very generous of you. Thank you!

Racer3770

You will have blanks in the mail this week. Are you teaching stabilization? If so I have some I can send for that as well.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Stabilization would be cool to teach... I have all the equipment for it. I have reservations about leaving the oven on at school overnight... I might have to put that in the idea bucket for next year. Thank you anyways!

keithlong

Glad to see that you are teaching classes. I am going to be teaching high school students beginning pen turning classes at a local tech school. Just waiting on the instructor to fit it in her schedule. A couple of her students want to turn duck calls. That will be a learning curve for me also. Good luck and I hope that we can continue to keep wood turning going. Thanks for taking your time to teach.

Glad to see that you are teaching classes. I am going to be teaching high school students beginning pen turning classes at a local tech school. Just waiting on the instructor to fit it in her schedule. A couple of her students want to turn duck calls. That will be a learning curve for me also. Good luck and I hope that we can continue to keep wood turning going. Thanks for taking your time to teach.

I turn duck calls, it isn't too difficult. Like everything else, you need the right tools. The biggest tools need is the mandrel. My recommendation is an expanding one that will not mar the wood. I recommend the duck call mandrel sold by ChefWareKits, I use the 5/8 one. The inserts I use are from Echo Duck Calls, making the call inserts themselves is a whole other art I am not looking to learn now. Any wood will work but wood with more natural oils are ideal since calls can easily get wet. Good luck with all this.

Racer3770

That sounds really cool too! Good luck with your class! 🦆

keithlong

James, what finish do you use on your student pens? I am thinking about friction polish. What finish would be good for duck calls?

Racer3770

James, what finish do you use on your student pens? I am thinking about friction polish. What finish would be good for duck calls?
I've used EEE ultra Wax for my class because it's super cost effective and easy for a first time turner to apply. I bought one jar of it the first year I taught the class and still have about 1/2 a jar left after about 100 pens...

There's all kinds of waxes, pastes, and glues available though. I'm sure everyone has a preference.

Hippie3180

For sure. I've used these in the past to purchase sandpaper and polishing compounds. Would put it towards whatever you want to see the kids have.
That's very generous of you. Thank you!
Is there a certain online vendor you would like to use, or would you like a generic gift card to use anywhere?

Top Bottom