Help! Loose coupling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gcap74

Hi all. I have a bit of an issue I hope you can help me with. I just completed 3 pens using the Desire kit from Mckenzie Penworks. I love how they turned out, but I noticed that on one of them the threaded section on the body is loose. It has about 1mm of movement back and forth which is messing with the cap.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I am not opposed to attempting to disassemble and buying a new kit, but I desperately want to save the blank as it is unique and getting more of this particular wood would be cost prohibitive...

Can I use some epoxy on the pressed section to try to hold it in place?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Am I correct in understanding that you are talking about the "THREADED SECTION" is fitting a little loose in the 10.5mm brass tube? In addition to moving in and out does it also rotate inside the brass tube?

Capture.JPG
If that is the case perhaps you can pull the threaded section out as far as you can and apply a thin film of blue Loctite (or epoxy) to the back side and press it back in. Try to avoid too much stuff to keep from having any squeeze out, but if you do make sure to clean it off as quickly as you can.

To start with I would try Loctite rather than epoxy as it is a little more forgiving in case you need to pull it back out to try again. Also I would avoid CA since I have read many times in these forums that CA can discolor the plating over time.

Good Luck - I hope you can save your blank as well.

Regards,
Dave

gcap74

Am I correct in understanding that you are talking about the "THREADED SECTION" is fitting a little loose in the 10.5mm brass tube? In addition to moving in and out does it also rotate inside the brass tube?

View attachment 365121
If that is the case perhaps you can pull the threaded section out as far as you can and apply a thin film of blue Loctite (or epoxy) to the back side and press it back in. Try to avoid too much stuff to keep from having any squeeze out, but if you do make sure to clean it off as quickly as you can.

To start with I would try Loctite rather than epoxy as it is a little more forgiving in case you need to pull it back out to try again. Also I would avoid CA since I have read many times in these forums that CA can discolor the plating over time.

Good Luck - I hope you can save your blank as well.

Regards,
Dave
Thanks for the advice! You are correct, I am talking about the "threaded section" in the diagram. I do have blue loctite, I'm just not sure I can get the section out enough... It's a very small amount of give it has. Would it be better to try to disassemble?

egnald

Thanks for the advice! You are correct, I am talking about the "threaded section" in the diagram. I do have blue loctite, I'm just not sure I can get the section out enough... It's a very small amount of give it has. Would it be better to try to disassemble?

The only problem I see with disassembly is that you would need to use a punch to press out the finial first and then use a punch to punch out the "Threaded Section". It's possible, but you might want to use Loctite on the Finial too when you reassemble it as the tube may have stretched out a little when it was pressed in the first time. - good luck! - Dave

gcap74

The only problem I see with disassembly is that you would need to use a punch to press out the finial first and then use a punch to punch out the "Threaded Section". It's possible, but you might want to use Loctite on the Finial too when you reassemble it as the tube may have stretched out a little when it was pressed in the first time. - good luck! - Dave
Well as luck would have it I looked at it today and the threaded section came right out! Clearly it was LOOSE! I used some 5-minute epoxy and am letting it stay clamped overnight. I checked after about 20 minutes and it was rock solid, so I think i found my answer!

Top Bottom