HELP LOL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

I was turning this piece of Cedar last night. I was getting some catches and found a void! Just wondering do I keep turning or filling the void somehow.

any Ideas?

Attachments

• 20230417_095049.jpg
    20230417_095049.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 103
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen_man_ship

I have been using Milliput for such problems. It comes in a several different colors, cures in four hours, turns very easily, and takes a finish well.

Madman1978

Depends on what you are trying to make, and how the void (looks like a wormhole) would fit into the final thing.
No wormhole. It is an inclusion. I can't tell in this block came from the Tree limb or the root. It appears to be a crotch piece. This will be an offering bowl once done I hope. It will be next to my alter.

Madman1978

I would cast turquoise coloured Alumilite clear into it . I assume the void doesn`t go to the bottom of the piece .
NO, the void doesn't. In fact, I didn't know that it was even there until I turn the piece. I am not sure If I should be mad at the seller of this piece of wood.

Mortalis

Sometimes these discrepancies can turn into a marvelous piece of art.
I would mix up some 2 part epoxy, dye some color that works with the wood color, 1080Wayne's suggestion of turquois works fo rme also, Allow the epoxy to set and then continue to turn.

Attachments

• PXL_20210918_214534819.jpg
    PXL_20210918_214534819.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 35

monophoto

I am not sure If I should be mad at the seller of this piece of wood.
Wood is a natural thing, and this hole is a natural part of the wood. No reason to get angry.

Instead, work with it.

I'm not enthusiastic about turquoise, especially considering what you are making. I think I would mix some coffee grounds into the resin component of two-part epoxy before adding the hardener, stuff that into the hole, let it cure, and continue turning. Call it a natural feature.

howsitwork

I would stop turning until it's filled . I tend to saturate the ends of such voids with supergue to stabilise slightly first
. Epoxy resin with a contrasting filler would be my choice but care ( and definitely face mask ) from here on

Don Rabchenuk

I have turned a lot of cedar, bark inclusions are a natural thing with it. Be cautious it is very prone to cracking if it gets too hot from turning or sanding. I love turning it. Watch for cracks and the dust can be harmful so remember dust protection.

Madman1978

This is the state of the bowl right now. I used a Forstner bit and drilled to the bottom of the void to see if it did end.
The grain is blowing me away.

Attachments

• 20230418_103459.jpg
    20230418_103459.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 46

sbwertz

Sometimes these discrepancies can turn into a marvelous piece of art.
I would mix up some 2 part epoxy, dye some color that works with the wood color, 1080Wayne's suggestion of turquois works fo rme also, Allow the epoxy to set and then continue to turn.
I like to use crushed stone in flaws like that. I use a mortar and pestle made from a four inch piece of two inch pipe with threads on one end and a cap screwed on, and a six inch piece of one inch pipe with threads on the end and a cap screwed on. I buy stone beads on the internet...turquoise and red jasper would both be beautiful in that. Drop 4 or 5 beads in the 2" pipe and beat the stuffing out of them with the one inch pipe until reduced to powder. Then fill the crack with the stone and either CA or epoxy. Turn it down flush with carbide tools, sand and finish.

Attachments

• IMG_2667.JPG
    IMG_2667.JPG
    663.7 KB · Views: 31
Top Bottom